Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

RV circuit in my garage

I need to install a 120 V 30a circuit in my garage. I recently ran a 220 V 1 ph line for my welder. This circuit has 2 hots and a ground. My home wiring has a common busbar for neutral and ground. Can I use one leg of that circuit and run a jumper from neutral to ground on my RV receptacle.

bmarkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Electrician

RV circuit in my garage

First off if the line you ran is #12 or smaller you can not do it. If it is #10 or bigger you may be able to do it. What colour of wire are at the plug? If you have a white wire it should be an easy switch over.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

RV circuit in my garage

Your welder circuit is 240 volt only. It does not have a neutral. If the wire size is #10 you could abandon the welder receptacle for the RV.

You cannot use the ground from the welder as the neutral for the RV.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #4

RV circuit in my garage

I ran # 8 wire for the welding circuit. A little overkill I know. If I cant use the ground as a neutral can I pull a seperate neutral line and use one leg of the 220 V circuit. Or do I need to Install a totally new circuit using a single pole breaker. I only have 3 wires in 3/4 in conduit. Is it a violation to run 2 circuits in one conduit. Should I pull a neutral and use the existing 220 circuit to install a subpanel to run both a circuit for the welder and the RV. I dont want to lose my welder line. I live outside the city limits, so I am not required to get any permits.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

RV circuit in my garage

Since you have conduit you can pull in 2 #10s in black and white for the RV circuit if there is space left in the conduit. You could share the ground. What type of conduit did you install?

Regardless of the lack of permits you should still do this safely and to code.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

RV circuit in my garage

I used 3/4" EMT conduit. I have room for 2 more wires but I also have 3 (90) degree bends where i had to go over the garage doors. It will not be an easy pull, but after further reading, I have heard that Itis not uncommon for the ground and neutral to be attached to the same busbar in the panel. But they must be seperated in the circuit.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

RV circuit in my garage

What size ground did you run?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #8

RV circuit in my garage

# 8 ground and 2 # 8 hot wires
Old 09-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Electrician

RV circuit in my garage

If it were me and the EMT is installed correctly I would out the #8 ground and then you would have room for two #10. EMT is considered your ground when installed properly.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

RV circuit in my garage

Assuming THHN insulation you can install 5 #8's in a 3/4 EMT. You could install the 2 #10s and still be under the fill limit. You could downsize the #8 ground and open the pipe up some more.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
A "Handy Husband"

RV circuit in my garage

Is the garage attached or detached?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #12

RV circuit in my garage

I thought of using the EMT for ground, but I picked up the welder circuit from an existing circuit, then ran surface conduit to the other side of the garage. So the EMT does not go all the way to the main panel. I think I am going to pull 1 neutral line and install a sub panel and put a seperate 30 A breaker in the sub panel for the RV circuit. How does everyone feel about this.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Household Handyman

RV circuit in my garage

Sounds like a project I just completed with a dedicated circuit for the RV. While looking for a receptacle at a local Lowe's store, the store clerk asked me if he could help me. I told him I was looking for a 30A RV twist-lock type receptacle with a weather-proof cover to attach to the outside of my garage-for this male plug I have in my hand. He told me there is no such thing as an "30A RV twist-lock receptacle" that is only one pole, they will all be 220V double-pole, and I would need a new 220V double-pole breaker in my box. I did think on this for minute, then asked him where he had obtained his electrical training from: "I'm not an electrician, I just know a lot about electrical stuff". Off to the local electrical supply house to get the 30A, single pole, twist-lock receptacle with a weather-proof box.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #14

RV circuit in my garage

Why dont you just run a proper line with neutral,
for your 30a outlet ?
Sharing a neutral is not recomended,
And most likely not up to code !

And a 220v outlet can not be 1 phase !
You need 2 phases if you have a 120v mains system.
to get 220v.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #15

RV circuit in my garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Sounds like a project I just completed with a dedicated circuit for the RV. While looking for a receptacle at a local Lowe's store, the store clerk asked me if he could help me. I told him I was looking for a 30A RV twist-lock type receptacle with a weather-proof cover to attach to the outside of my garage-for this male plug I have in my hand. He told me there is no such thing as an "30A RV twist-lock receptacle" that is only one pole, they will all be 220V double-pole, and I would need a new 220V double-pole breaker in my box. I did think on this for minute, then asked him where he had obtained his electrical training from: "I'm not an electrician, I just know a lot about electrical stuff". Off to the local electrical supply house to get the 30A, single pole, twist-lock receptacle with a weather-proof box.
My wife knows more about "electrical stuff" than most big box clerks.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote