Rv 30 Amp Electric Service To Build F - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

rv 30 amp electric service to build f

Hello Id like to hook my rv up at home. how and what kind of wire and box should I use, i have a fetached garage that i can go to but what should i do and how to wire any help would be great also its no more than 25 or 50 ft from the box to the rv.

Advertisement

dottiewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,222

Is your RV's shore power connection 30-amp, or 50-amp? Each uses a different receptacle and, obviously, different wire and circuit breaker size.

I did this for my RV, which uses 30-amp shore power, so that's what I'll describe:

To connect to your house panel, you'll need a 30-amp, single pole breaker. For the conductor I used 10/2 UF wire, which is approved for direct burial (burial depth varies by local code - I buried mine 24 inches). You can also use individual conductors in conduit, which may be more expensive. The receptacle you need is unique to RVs; it is a NEMA TT-30R. Places like Lowe's and Home Depot may not carry them. The easiest thing to do is go to an RV place, where you can buy the receptacle mounted in a weatherproof box.

I know this is a DIY site, but the way you phrased your question suggests to me that you don't know much about electricity or electrical work. If that's not the case, I apologize. If it is, then please have somebody help you who is familiar with it. This job is not complicated, but can be dangerous - parts of your breaker panel will be live even if you open the main breaker.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

If your detached garage doesn't already have a sub panel in it...
plan to do that as the first part of the project.

At that point... one more circuit in there will go to the RV (30A/120V) receptacle.
Easy peasy.

eta: There are about 200 threads here on how to do the garage panel.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote