Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Share |

Running Wires in new construction

If when running wires for new construction to maintain the 1 1/4" space yuo obvisously can't staple them next to each other, and the staples can only take 1 cable? Is it good practice to come in through the top of the box for an outlet and when running out to the next, go through the bottom over to the bottom of the next and then out through the top? and continue this around to all outlets? Also any recommendations for box sizes? 2X4 walls? Should I get the largest? except for exterior walls where you may want to get insulation behind?

bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan781 View Post
If when running wires for new construction to maintain the 1 1/4" space yuo obvisously can't staple them next to each other, and the staples can only take 1 cable? Is it good practice to come in through the top of the box for an outlet and when running out to the next, go through the bottom over to the bottom of the next and then out through the top? and continue this around to all outlets? Also any recommendations for box sizes? 2X4 walls? Should I get the largest? except for exterior walls where you may want to get insulation behind?
I would recommend 22 or 23 cubic inch boxes everywhere. The savings is little for smaller sizes. Depending upon the listing of the staples you use, more than one cable can go uder a staple.

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #3

Great thanks. I had 1/2 in staples left over. Do you ever go top to bottom like I mentioned or is it better to get the larger staples, or is it all the same. Lastlydo I have to be concerned wit the bends coming out of the boxes going through the holes to run horizontal? Just fan them out a little?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan781 View Post
Great thanks. I had 1/2 in staples left over. Do you ever go top to bottom like I mentioned or is it better to get the larger staples, or is it all the same. Lastlydo I have to be concerned wit the bends coming out of the boxes going through the holes to run horizontal? Just fan them out a little?
You can do it that way but your holes will have to be drilled much lower. Drilling at a little under waist high makes for much easier wire pulling. Whether you go over or below just don't drill too close to the box. Not only wil it be harder to get the cable into the box it will be very difficult to staple them.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #5

So I am better off just drilling above and getting staples that can hold more than one wire. Thant way I can leave space to turn and get down into the box.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

What size staples should I use to fasten two wires together?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

1/2"is all i carry onmy trucks

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote