DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Running wires in corners

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ADKstorm 
#1 ·
I'm running wires in a newly-constructed add-a-level. The corners are 3 or 4 2x4's, so they are really solid, I tried drilling in from each direction, hoping to meet the holes and feed the wire through. That is not working, what can I do? One suggestion ws to go up an over, then back down the other side. I thought a logical approach was to notch out the wood, then cover it with a metal strip, but I don't know if thats proper.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 ·
you can drill a bigger holes I suppose... using hole saw... at least this is better than cut the wood and fill it with metal strip... and then there are those wire fishing stuff you can use to fish the wires... once the holes are big enough... it wouldn't be that difficult...somthing like 0.75" to 1" diameter hole...

#3 ·
Why isn't drilling the hole working? Is it that you can't get the wire through? If the holes line up, use something a little more flexible to fish through the hole and then pull the wire through. Once the wire is through, you'll have to push and pull to feed it through.

#5 ·
You can drill the hole just big enough to do the fishing, but not too big, and make the hole closer to the concrete wall so that it still have enough distance from the front to follow the code requirement, I don't know if it is 1.75 inch though... I can imagine it is real hard if you hole is so small that the wire is being so tight through when pulling it even straight, not to mention turning corner... you can try smaller drills first and go up one at a time until you find the hole size just right...

#6 ·
Use a 3/4 or 7/8 bit, drill from both sides, meeting in the middle. Don't worry about maintaining the 1.25in minimum distance from the nailing surface, just use nail plates. Put a bend in the cable at about the same distance as the turn, insert the end of the cable in the hole up to the bend, push toward the wall to make the turn, and you're through.

#8 ·
I remember reading from the book that you need xyz depth from the front but there is no restriction at the back...so 1.75 inches for both front and back seems not really required...as this is to prevent screw/nails punched onto the wire, and screws won't go from the back...

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I got one out of the four yesterday, not alot of time available yesterday.

The siding is not on yet, so I am concerned about the back....I will stay too close to the front if anything so it is easy to add nail plates.

Is that the official name in the store "nail plates"? or do I have to cut them myself, out of beer cans?

#11 ·
I thought it was basement renovation... surround with concrete... ..anyhow... I cut those heavy metal bar myself for the plate... I do have a metal saw though... those circle long chain slow moving saw... forget how they call it... it will be too hard to cut by hand...

#12 ·
Generally referred to as "nail guards", they are available off the shelf at the big box or at the electrical supply.

Beer can metal is too thin. You would have to make several layers to get the required 1/16" protection. After that many beers, you would forget what it was you were trying to accomplish.:tt2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.