Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Running Wires From Basement Question

I've got experience running cables from basement to the first and second floors from my last house, but my new home has me stuck. My last home, I had engineered rim joists which means that to get a cable into the wall above, all I had to do was drill down into the sill plate on the first floor and down through the top of the 2x4 that formed the top of the engineered rim joist...pretty simple. my new house has a different construction that makes this more difficult. The picture below shows the general cross section of what I am dealing with. Basically, there is a sill plate on top of the concrete basement wall followed by 2 doubled up 2x10 rim joists followed by another sill plate. The first level sub floor then sites on top of that and the framed first level wall on top of that. The basement joists are joined to the rim joists with joist hangers. Drilling straight down from the top in the framed wall cavity will not work since I will drill through the sill plate and into the doubled 2x10s...the hole will not exit into the basement which would happen if that was an engineered beam. How do I drill? Is it OK to drill on an angle from the top such that I pop the hole out on the side of the rim joists? Thanks for the help.

reb162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #2

I'd eager to see what the consensus is on this one. Out of curiousity, is there any way you can make a precise measurement in both the basement and 1st floor of where the wire would be. I would likely pull off the trim at the first floor and drill a hole just big enough to stick a coat hangar wire down. At that point you could know exactly where to drill in the basement and 1st floor. If you are confident enough you could then drill a shallow hole into the rim joists and then drill from the 1st floor down to meet up with that shallow hole. You'd have to be precise but it seems possible, might not be a good structurally though.

Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

I see no problem with angle drilling.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #4

Yup, they angle drilled in my house. It's just scary, if you screw up

It's typically done using a drill bit that's 18" long, can be picked up at your local HD or Lowes I got mine in the electrical section next to the wire pullers, wire nuts, etc. It's around $20 for a 1/2", and $25 for 9/16. The one I have is 1/2", I found with 12 gauge wire it is just a hair too tight, but doable. I wished for the 9/16". http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-39109-16...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Last edited by Piedmont; 06-11-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #5

I was thinking precise measurement as well, drilling straight down from the top and horizontal in the basement and try to make the two drill holes meet...but I'm thinking that is beyond the precision of what I could do...even using the coat hanger trick. Guess I'll be off to get the long drill bits and try the angle drilling. Thanks for the advice.
reb162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
I=E/R

My original stud finder was a little magnet mounted in a holder and was used to find the stud by finding a nail holding the sheetrock. Why not drill from the top and leave the drill in the hole and take a compass or something like that to the lower level and "locate" it

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote