Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

Running wire through finished walls/ceiling

If you want to run wire through a finished ceiling or wall, obviously you cannot strap it down and you cannot be 100% sure if what your running it close to. Is this up to code? I know that if you run 14/2 Romex over HVAC you are supposed to have insulation where it touches, but from what I've read out of the NEC it seems that once you have a finished area pretty much all rules no longer apply while fishing the cable.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #2

Pretty much correct. It is impractical to remove the sheetrock to fish wires, so unless there is an obvious issue with running a wire in a wall (like vertically through an HVAC stud space, or up against a flue that gets hot), you can just pull the wire.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #3

So with that being said, that makes me believe the electrical code is only in place to prevent as much as possible during initial construction.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
So with that being said, that makes me believe the electrical code is only in place to prevent as much as possible during initial construction.
Well yeah. Think about it. If you have loose cables dangling between studs, then the insulation guy comes along and shoves them this way or that, then the sheet rocker comes in and sandwiches the cable between the stud and rock, then runs a screw through it. Or the cable is hanging near where the plumber is sweating his joints and cooks the wire. I'm sure we can think of dozens of cases where it is a bad setup BEFORE the walls are complete. But, once a wall is up, it isn't very likely that a fished wire can be damaged.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #5

Yup, if the wallboard or ceiling is being removed during a remodel, any new installation of wires would need to be secured properly.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #6

Ok, this leads me to one more question. I actually am planning to fish a wire into an area where the main hot air and return air ducts are. It is completely finished, sheetrocked, etc. and was framed in steel studs. Will it be fine to leave a 14/2 romex loose in that area, or should I consider BX? I know there is slight vibration and minor heat from the ducts and the steel studs have smooth edges but incase the wire happens to rest on a framing or drywall screw..