DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Running wire through cold air return (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/running-wire-through-cold-air-return-171946/)

Ebierley 02-14-2013 03:56 PM

Running wire through cold air return
 
Can you run Romex through cold air returns? If yes, is it better to get into the bay from the side where the floor joist is and not the metal?

TarheelTerp 02-14-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebierley (Post 1117202)
Can you run Romex through cold air returns?

Nope.

Kyle_in_rure 02-14-2013 06:10 PM

No you cannot, but if you provide some details on the project we could provide recommendations.:yes:

Ebierley 02-14-2013 06:10 PM

Not even to get to the bottom of the wall bove the panning in the basement?

electures 02-14-2013 06:22 PM

You can cross through the return as long as it is perpendicular to the long air space.

Baxter01 02-14-2013 06:33 PM

As was said, you can cross perpendicular to the air space but cannot use it as a raceway. Even if it is the most convenient and tempting way.

Kyle_in_rure 02-14-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electures (Post 1117323)
You can cross through the return as long as it is perpendicular to the long air space.

That's interesting, is there a reason you can only cross it?

jbfan 02-14-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure (Post 1117338)
That's interesting, is there a reason you can only cross it?

Code allows it!

Kyle_in_rure 02-14-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1117343)
Code allows it!

No further questions.:laughing:

jbfan 02-14-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure (Post 1117344)
No further questions.:laughing:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

ddawg16 02-14-2013 08:31 PM

Forgetting the code issue, I never did understand why someone would want to punch holes in their duct. We go through so much trouble to seal up holes and then turn around and punch holes?

theatretch85 02-14-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1117393)
Forgetting the code issue, I never did understand why someone would want to punch holes in their duct. We go through so much trouble to seal up holes and then turn around and punch holes?

You are required to seal the holes up around the wire penetration with fire stop caulking. Sometimes you have no other route but to cross a cold air return path in a wall.

electures 02-15-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theatretch85

You are required to seal the holes up around the wire penetration with fire stop caulking. Sometimes you have no other route but to cross a cold air return path in a wall.

Where is that written?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved