Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #1

Share |

Running wire along sill question

I am running 4 wires along the house sill plate new construction. Is this to code? Can I staple the wires to the sill plate and the rim joists? Also for new construction kitchen receptacles can I install non-gfci if the circuit will be on a gfci breaker?will the inspector approve?
RISurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #2

Why would you not run the wires through a drilled hole in the floor joist? That way the wires would not be in the way later when someone wanted to finish the basement.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISurfer View Post
I am running 4 wires along the house sill plate new construction. Is this to code? Can I staple the wires to the sill plate and the rim joists? Also for new construction kitchen receptacles can I install non-gfci if the circuit will be on a gfci breaker?will the inspector approve?
I believe per code, if the wire is running perpendicular to a joist, you have to drill a hole in the joist to run the wire.

Regardless..I think Joe is right....drill some holes and get those wires up out of the way. You want them at least 1.5" inboard to that it's unlikely a nail or screw will hit it.

On the outlets....yes, you can wire a TR outlet off the load side of a GFIC. It will be just as protected as the GFIC is.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Master Electrician

He asked of he could use a gfci breaker. Yes you can. Makes no difference if you use a breaker or plug. Needs to be 20a though.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
He asked of he could use a gfci breaker. Yes you can. Makes no difference if you use a breaker or plug. Needs to be 20a though.
Actually, for the kitchen he'll need two of them.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I believe per code, if the wire is running perpendicular to a joist, you have to drill a hole in the joist to run the wire.

Regardless..I think Joe is right....drill some holes and get those wires up out of the way. You want them at least 1.5" inboard to that it's unlikely a nail or screw will hit it.

On the outlets....yes, you can wire a TR outlet off the load side of a GFIC. It will be just as protected as the GFIC is.

I am helping the electrician do some of the work such as running the wires. He told me to run the wires along the sill plate on top of the concrete walls and then run them in to the stud bays. He didn't want me to run the wires through the floor joists. I figured this was one way of doing it.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #7

Is it faster to not have to drill the holes, yes.
Is someone going to have to go back and rerun the wires or add shims later if you do not drill the holes, most likely if you finish the basement.

Last edited by joecaption; 08-01-2012 at 12:50 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

Exposed "romex" smaller than 8AWG running at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces must either be run thru bored holes in the joists or on running boards. 334.15C
hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Exposed "romex" smaller than 8AWG running at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces must either be run thru bored holes in the joists or on running boards. 334.15C
I'm using 14/2 and 12/2 should I bore holes through all the joists? Right now the wire runs parallel with the sill and adjacent to the joists.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
If you follow the letter of the code. No. However, for the 36+ years I have been wiring houses, it is commonly done. Just keep the wires up against the sill. As an inspector, I don't have a problem with it either. You may want to ask your local EI.

If you install GFI breakers, GFI receptacles are not necessary. You'll just have to run back to the panel everytime one trips.
. All other states click
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors
. Online motor calculator
. Online calculators

Last edited by electures; 08-01-2012 at 02:26 PM.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
E2 Electrician

Quote:
I am running 4 wires along the house sill plate new construction. Is this to code?
Yes.

Quote:
Can I staple the wires to the sill plate and the rim joists?
Yes.

Quote:
Also for new construction kitchen receptacles can I install non-gfci if the circuit will be on a gfci breaker?will the inspector approve?
Yes.

Well, that was an easy one.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
If you follow the letter of the code. No.
Okay, lets duke it out, what code section would you call?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
This is only if you are running on the BOTTOM of joist.... we are talking about the sill plate and rim board.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would you not run the wires through a drilled hole in the floor joist? That way the wires would not be in the way later when someone wanted to finish the basement.

And the wires would not be in the way... they would be stapled on a sill plate or rim board.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
E2 Electrician

These are wires stapled to a sill plate... this is not a violation, As they are NOT stapled to the bottom of a joist.