Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Bocolo
Question

Running Wire

Hello,
I am trying to understand what is the proper way to run wires from one floor to another. I understand fishing the wire, I understand drilling holes, I understand the 1 1/4 inch from surface clearance and the need for metal plates if this clearance is not met. What I do not understand is what code requires when you are running wire (i.e. NM 12/2) stapled to the side of 2x4 that leads to the floor above. If you staple the wire or wires and do not meet the 1 1/4" clearance, how do you protect the wire? Similarly to protecting the wire through bored holes with a metal plate. Also, do all holes going up inside the wall need to be fill with some special silicone or something similar? Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Running Wire

run it in conduit?
fill holes with fire block caulk.

DM

Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

Running Wire

Thanks for your time and reply. Running conduit would be a nightmare and is not really what I am looking for. I would assume I would run into derating issues which I would like to avoid. Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Running Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocolo View Post
Hello,
I am trying to understand what is the proper way to run wires from one floor to another. I understand fishing the wire, I understand drilling holes, I understand the 1 1/4 inch from surface clearance and the need for metal plates if this clearance is not met. What I do not understand is what code requires when you are running wire (i.e. NM 12/2) stapled to the side of 2x4 that leads to the floor above. If you staple the wire or wires and do not meet the 1 1/4" clearance, how do you protect the wire? Similarly to protecting the wire through bored holes with a metal plate. Also, do all holes going up inside the wall need to be fill with some special silicone or something similar? Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

When you say staple to the 2x4 what do you really mean? Are you talking about in the basement the 2x4 that the studs are nailed too? Also if your fishing a wire in a wall you dont have to worry about meeting the 1 1/4" clearance. And if you want to fill the holes you can use expanding hole filler
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #5

Running Wire

Thanks for your time. I am trying to fish a couple of wires from the basement up to the third floor. I have found a path which takes me from the basement, up the bottom plate of the first floor, then go through a fire block in the middle of the wall up the bottom plate of the second floor, through another fire block in the middle of the wall and so on until I get to the ceiling of the second floor. I would have to bore holes through plates and fireblocks and understand code for doing that but I can't find anything related on what to do when you staple the wires to the studs going up along this path. Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,232

Running Wire

Quote:
I would have to bore holes through plates and fireblocks and understand code for doing that but I can't find anything related on what to do when you staple the wires to the studs going up along this path. Thanks again.
You have to do nothing to them. Wires fished inside finished walls do not need to be stapled!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #7

Running Wire

First, let me express my gratitude to all who have taken some of their precious time to answer. Second, forgive my ignorance. I am trying to learn something new. I am starting to get the feeling that I have misinterpreted what I read on the code book. Where does stapling the wire every 4 1/2 feet and within 12" inches of every box come into play? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #8

Running Wire

That is when the walls are open - new construction usually or during a complete gut & renovation
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #9

Running Wire

Thanks again. This forum is very helpful. Just out of curiosity, how many wires can you run up a wall cavity between studs that are 16" on center? Let's say I ran 5 or 6 wires. Would it pose any danger to have these wires behind the entire height of such wall? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,008

Running Wire

Quote:
Thanks again. This forum is very helpful. Just out of curiosity, how many wires can you run up a wall cavity between studs that are 16" on center? Let's say I ran 5 or 6 wires. Would it pose any danger to have these wires behind the entire height of such wall? Thanks.
I would say as many as you need. I know of no code requirement or issue with running multiple cables in one stud bay.

No danger. The Nm cables are designed for this purpose. Concealed behind walls, ceilings and crawl spaces. Dry locations only.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
the Musigician

Running Wire

guess i misunderstood, sorry about that. i thought for some reason you couldn't staple to center of EXPOSED stud.
but don't forget, you still need fireblock caulking for any holes you make.

DM
Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #12

Running Wire

I understand the firestopping now. I think I misinterpreted the code (2005) where it stated that in both concealed and exposed spaces where wire was being run parallel to framing members the cable "shall" be supported. But, there is an exception for concealed work in finished buildings. Thanks for your help.