Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #1

Share |

running uf to shed

hello,

i want to run 12-2 uf out to my shed. i currently have an outside outlet running off a 20a branch circuit that only the washer and gas dryer are on. would it be ok to run the 12-2 uf wire from the load side of the gfci outside outlet under ground about 80' to a j-box inside the shed, then use 12-2 romex (yellow, i beleive) to a duplex outlet, and another 12-2 romex to a flourescent (2-4ft tubes)light? i would only be using the outlet in the shed for light power tools like, power drill, cirular saw, hedge trimmers, radio..., and would try to use the shed when the washer and or dryer are not in use. i realize that it would be best to run a new 20a circuit directly from the service panel to the shed with a gfci breaker or outlets, but it is impossible to run wires through the attic with all the ac duct work up there, and that seems like the only way to run a new circuit. also, how deep should i run the wire in the ground. i figure about 18", im down south, so frost shouldnt be a prob. and can i direct bury the uf wire?...bob
bobo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #2

running uf to shed

24" burial depth in a trench, direct buried. 18" if in plastic conduit.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Electrician

running uf to shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo60 View Post
hello,

i want to run 12-2 uf out to my shed. i currently have an outside outlet running off a 20a branch circuit that only the washer and gas dryer are on. would it be ok to run the 12-2 uf wire from the load side of the gfci outside outlet under ground about 80' to a j-box inside the shed, then use 12-2 romex (yellow, i beleive) to a duplex outlet, and another 12-2 romex to a flourescent (2-4ft tubes)light? i would only be using the outlet in the shed for light power tools like, power drill, cirular saw, hedge trimmers, radio..., and would try to use the shed when the washer and or dryer are not in use. i realize that it would be best to run a new 20a circuit directly from the service panel to the shed with a gfci breaker or outlets, but it is impossible to run wires through the attic with all the ac duct work up there, and that seems like the only way to run a new circuit. also, how deep should i run the wire in the ground. i figure about 18", im down south, so frost shouldnt be a prob. and can i direct bury the uf wire?...bob

12" deep residential branch circuit rated 120 volts or less with gfci protection and maximum overcurrent protection at 20 amps.

Also, you need a disconnect at the shed, and you cannot use NM inside the shed without a 15 min finish rating.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #4

running uf to shed

Oops, forgot the GFCI option!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #5

running uf to shed

I thought that the washer/dryer had to have a dedicated circuit?????

Quote:
it is impossible to run wires through the attic with all the ac duct work up there,
The cable is only 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick. There is PLENTY of room

Last edited by 220/221; 04-18-2008 at 06:22 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Electrician

running uf to shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post

The laundry is suppose to be supplied with a 20 amp circuit, but who knows what year the OP's house was built, so I didnt bother asking any more questions...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #7

running uf to shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
12" deep residential branch circuit rated 120 volts or less with gfci protection and maximum overcurrent protection at 20 amps.

Also, you need a disconnect at the shed, and you cannot use NM inside the shed without a 15 min finish rating.
ok. "maximum overcurrent protection at 20 amp" do you mean that the gfci outlet should be rated at 20 amp? oh, btw, the house was built in 1958.

Last edited by bobo60; 04-19-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #8

running uf to shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post

i meant that there is no physical room in the attick. you can climb up the stairs, and pop your head up in the attick, and look around, but there is not even room to crawl around up there. i suppose if i cut an opening in the ceiling above the service panel in the bedroom, and somehow fished the uf from the front of the house to the back wall, i could do it, but if connecting to the outside circuit is ok, id rather go that route...bob
Old 04-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #9

running uf to shed

joba,

im not making excuses! im asking a question. im asking if what i suggested is fesible and safe to do. maybe you dont mind banging holes in your walls and ceilings, i on the other hand try not to. if i have to, i will. whats wrong with looking for an alternate solution? maybe i should hire you? ha! i dont think so...
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #10

running uf to shed

It is not proper to do it this way.

If you can pop your head up there you can probably do it. Fish tapes are a wonderful tool. I have fished 40' across a tiny attic crawl space with sticks of 1/2" PVC.

It's all about how bad you want to do it right.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #11

running uf to shed

220/221,

ok, i had thought about using long pieces of quarter round molding i have laying around to fish the wires, but the thing that im not sure of is fastening the cable. doesnt it need to be fastened to the studs/beams in the attick? its about a 35' run from the service panel to the back of the house. total run to shed from service panel is about 160'. i can put a few staples where i can reach, mainly from the start and end of the run in attick, hope thats ok. i see quite a few cables up in the attick that were done this way, not that its proper, but probably only way they could do it. also, i will put in a gfci breaker. gonna give it a try, see what happens...bob

Last edited by bobo60; 04-20-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #12

running uf to shed

You don't have to staple "fished cables" in attics and walls where not accessable. If you get the wire where you want it, just be glad your done.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #13

running uf to shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
You don't have to staple "fished cables" in attics and walls where not accessable. If you get the wire where you want it, just be glad your done.
j v

cool. thanks for the info...bob