Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Share |

running a subpanel from the main breaker on the pole.

I have a small acreage and I want to add a subpanel for the outbuildings and horse water heaters. The way the previous owner had it run is with an extension cord off a 15a GFCI that goes into an outlet (both ends of the extension cord has male plugs) that backfeeds into all the other outlets and has extension cords from those outlets to the water heaters (the type that keep water buckets from freezing) and some lights and such. Creative but we are going to be adding a storage building/shop and I want to have all the electric in order so that I can run something worth while to it.
Our electric meter is on the pole at the street and has box with a 200a breaker below that feeds the panel inside the house (about 150' away). The breaker on the pole is much closer to the out building than the panel inside is. Not to mention the panel inside is full. So, I want to add a 100a breaker to the box below the meter on the pole by the street. It doesn't matter to me which side of the 200a breaker the new circuit comes off, as all the power is currently being supplied by that breaker anyway. My question is, can I physically add a breaker to this box or what is the proper way to add this breaker? Also, what kind of wiring should I use from this breaker to the subpanel in the outbuilding about 300' away?

shocknawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

No way to add a breaker to that box.
You can replace that box with another box that has several breaker slots and do what you need to do.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
No way to add a breaker to that box.
You can replace that box with another box that has several breaker slots and do what you need to do.
Thanks. What about splitting the load coming off the 200a breaker and running that to a small box with a 100a breaker? Or just splitting the load coming off the 200a breaker and running that directly to the subpanel?

Also what about what type of wire to use?

Last edited by shocknawe; 05-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #4

Just curious.... what's that second box and conduit on the pole?
Gary Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Electrician

Gary, looks like it was possibly the old disconnect box.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should

Last edited by SD515; 05-07-2011 at 07:55 AM.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocknawe View Post
Thanks. What about splitting the load coming off the 200a breaker and running that to a small box with a 100a breaker? Or just splitting the load coming off the 200a breaker and running that directly to the subpanel?

Also what about what type of wire to use?
For that, you'd have to see if the lugs of the 200A breaker are listed for 2 wires per terminal to connect to them (doubtful) or if adaptor lugs are available for that model.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies, the other box is the disconnect for the old well. I think I am planning on having the REA come out and pull the meter so I can replace the box. I am planning on adding a 60a circuit now that is about 300'. I am planning on using #2wire. Does that sound right?