Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Share |

running rope lights from a switch

Hi,

I hope some of you electrical experts can help me out here. I'm trying to run some rope lights in my safe that runs to a basic switch mounted inside the safe.

my local home depot has 25 foot rope light sets on clearance for $10 per set. I was going to pick up 2 sets since my safe is tall, and for $10 per set, I figured why not.

so, my plan was to connect the two sets together using the connectors the rope lights come with, run the one electrical cord to an existing outlet that sits behind my safe and to cut the plug off of the other end so that I can run that end into a handy box and then wire it up to a switch.

the question I have is whether or not that would work?! and, if the electrical cord that comes with the rope light does not reach to the outlet, can I plug that into a surge strip that is then plugged into an outlet?!

Thanks,

Andrew

andrewjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Cutting the plug off would violate the UL listing, and worse, defeat the fuse protection on the light set since they are built into the plugs.

Run a basic powerstrip from an outlet with a cord length you need. That would solve the switch problem and the cord length problem.

Or. Install a switched outlet to plug the rope lights into instead of hardwiring them.

Safety first, convenience second.

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

How ya going to drill thru the safe ??

That part I am instering to see how you can figure it out due most safe are thick walled they can be pretty tough to drill but if you have proper drill bits ( note: I say more than one set of drill bit will work ) due most safe will have combation of steel and concrete in there.

Merci,.
Marc
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #4

Rope lights give off very little light, why out you pick them?
No way you could even read with them on.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post
Cutting the plug off would violate the UL listing, and worse, defeat the fuse protection on the light set since they are built into the plugs.

Run a basic powerstrip from an outlet with a cord length you need. That would solve the switch problem and the cord length problem.

Or. Install a switched outlet to plug the rope lights into instead of hardwiring them.

Safety first, convenience second.
how would I wire a switched outlet?

I slightly modified what I was originally going to do.

what I'm thinking of doing is run an extension cord into the safe, cut off the male end, wire it together with the rope lights and then wire that to a switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
How ya going to drill thru the safe ??

That part I am instering to see how you can figure it out due most safe are thick walled they can be pretty tough to drill but if you have proper drill bits ( note: I say more than one set of drill bit will work ) due most safe will have combation of steel and concrete in there.

Merci,.
Marc
the safe came pre-drilled with an electrical hole in the corner of it, like almost all modern safes do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Rope lights give off very little light, why out you pick them?
No way you could even read with them on.
I bought two sets, they should be decent enough for what I'd need.
andrewjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote