Running Power To A Saw On A Slab Floor. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Running power to a saw on a slab floor.

I bought a new 5hp table saw that is going to set in the middle of my barn. I was wondering how is the best way to run power to my saw on the slab floor. Do I just run conduit to it and mount a box at the end of the run and hardwire my saw into the box?

Advertisement

maticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would stay away from the floor and come from the ceiling, maybe busdrop cable or I would do some type of rack to pipe down to and install a disconnect or cord and plug the machine...

Advertisement

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #3

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply. The problem with coming down from the ceiling is that it could interfere with a sheet of plywood or something long I might be sawing.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maticus View Post
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply. The problem with coming down from the ceiling is that it could interfere with a sheet of plywood or something long I might be sawing.

Better than tripping on a piece of conduit and falling into the running saw...

You can always put a receptacle on a beam and just put a whip of SJO cord with a twist lock receptacle on the saw... this way you can roll the cord up if its in the way.

Last edited by chris75; 02-13-2008 at 10:46 PM.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I'm not sure how far away from the wall you actually are but when you say barn I'll have to assume it's around 20 feet?

You could make some kind of assembly on the fence side of your outfeed table that would keep the cord elevated and out of the work area. Something like a modified IV holder they have in hospitals. If you are going to run conduit on the floor (I don't recommend it, you'll trip over it just as you're feeding a sheet into the blade or something) then run it in rigid pipe. As in galvanized rigid conduit.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #6

The other issue is the power cord is 10G wire. The saw is about 12' from the wall and it weighs about 600 lbs.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,408

Don't you wish you had stubbed in floor receptacle.....

Hard wire at the wall and run emt or soow cord over to a surface mounted receptacle next to the saw. Cover the conduit with cable/conduit floor guards. These are the guards you see covering cables and conduits on the floor at automotive garages and machine shops.

kinda like these......

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-14-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Union Electrician

Stubbie, good idea. Actually to the OP you can still get conduit in the floor, but you'll need this:
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #9

Thanks Stubbie and goose for your replies.

I'll go with Stubbie's idea instead of goose's for now. But later on if I know that will be the permanent spot for the saw I'll use goose's idea and rent a masonry saw and put it in the slab since it runs along a seam in the floor.

Last edited by maticus; 02-14-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,008

The floor is a bad idea. Even with the covers it still a tripping hazzard. I like the idea of running a conduit to a box above the saw, then drop a whip down with a twist lock. Much better idea and probably much easier too. You could even use a cord reel and pull enough out so it will not be in your way.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

He has a large commercial table saw how is he going to rip or crosscut 4 by 8 sheets of plywood with a cord hanging from the ceiling?
I'm picturing this.... what am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Running power to a saw on a slab floor.-table-saw.jpg  
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 622

Put the twist lock connector in the ceiling on the side of the saw, not the back. I have a 32" fence on mine and set the whip at 38" from the side of the blade.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #13

As a furnituremaker, I'd highly recommend against
running the cord from the ceiling. That'll work for some pieces of machinery, but not for a tablesaw. You need clear access from all sides. It's dangerous to have a cord that could hang-up on a workpiece while it's being fed, because if a workpiece is pulled sideways a bit, it can kickback. That's when fingers get cut, and nuts get bruised.

In all the shops I've worked in, I've never seen a TS wired from the ceiling, and I think there's a good reason for that.

I think your idea to use the conduit ramp for a while is good. Then put it in the slab when you know where it'll be permanently. But make sure that ramp is not on the fence-side of the saw (usually the right side). Not on the infeed, outfeed, or left side where someone could get hurt if they tripped on it.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 622

Agreed the optimum location would be in the slab, but I personally feel that the floor guards would be more of a trip hazzard than a whip from the ceiling positioned outside of the normal material path. This would be initially less expensive and when the OP determines his exact location, cut the slab.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I'm sorry but I just don't see it, floor guards are not trip hazards they are used in heavy traffic areas in many shops and garages and wood shops. A cord hanging loose from the ceiling and a loose power cord on the floor are in my opinion flat dangerous around a power saw. I've been in many wood working shops and I have only a few times seen this but never on a cabinet table saw.

Advertisement