Running Power Outdoor To Subpanel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

running power outdoor to subpanel

I am planning on having a sub panel installed in my garage. My main panel is on the back of my house and as far from the garage as it can be. Would it be ok to run the line from the main panel out doors? My 220 air conditioner line is outdoors about 6 inches off the ground and runs along the same path. I am thinking it would be easier to do this than snake a line up through the wall, through the attic, and then backdown the garage wall.

Advertisement

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Either way is fine. If you run it outside you need to use conduit and wires rated for wet locations.
In my opinion running it the hard way is the best way. Up - Over - Down. This way you can use a cable if you like.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I hear ya. Local codes require I have to use conduit in my county. I plan on having an electrician do it and having it inspected. I guess I will see what the electrician says. I have not talked ot anyone yet.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote