Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Running a power line to a yurt

Hi there

I m trying to figure out the logistics of running a power line from my friends house, to a yurt on his property. Or to a utility shack close to the yurt.

I am wondering what kind of permitting this would need, and what would the average cost of something like this be.

could I dig my own trench and bury my own wire, or would I have to pay the power company. to build the line?

I would want enough power to run washer and dryer, as well as a few other appliances.

the line would have to be 1000ft

Thanks for any input

cloudedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,192

It would help to know where you are and what a yurt is.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,026

For electrical service, probably the best thing to compare the yurt to is a building with a soft dome ceiling held up by air pressure inside. Running a line from a main building to the yurt would be comparable to running a line to a shed or detached garage.

Aside from that, a yurt is a kind of tent. It is usually round with a conical roof.

A yurt can have framing that is quite robust and to which wiring and panels and devices (lights, receptacles) can be attached. A yurt can also be portable in which case the electrical service must be to a nearby shed or RV post with portable cord and plug wiring into the yurt.

In most localities you can dig and bury your own line from the house (house main panel) to the location desired. For a 1000 foot run (I don't have the exact numbers handy now) we're probably talking a O or OO gauge aluminum wire cable to run a variety of appliances out there..

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-12-2011 at 10:04 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Well, you are looking at 3000 feet of wire. Im not an electrican..close but not quite, but it seems you are looking at 60-80 amp service. Your wire cost alone is going to be in the $5000 range. Your friend has to have a large enough service to carry the extra load. If not then more $$$ everywhere. I would not be surprised to see a $15,000-$20,000 quote for this.

Your other option is to buy a lp/natural gas generator, and a propane tank. The generators are quiet and you can probably get the whole set-up for what you would spend in wire going the other way.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Solar may be a great option for this. Running utility power will probably cost much more than the yurt.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote