Running A Pipe Between Basement & Attic - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 296

Running a pipe between basement & attic

I saw somewhere stating to install a pipe from ones basement into their attic so in the future they can easily pull wires in the pipe to go from basement to attic. Is that a good idea or are there codes/etc to doing that (like it must be metal or it's not allowed)?

I got a 1" gray plastic pipe in the electrical isle and did it (my guess it's outdoor plastic conduit), then ran three 12ga wires in it. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm not supposed to do that... maybe the wires can overheat in the tube, or I created a channel for a fire to quickly spread up into my attic and may have done something dumb. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
I saw somewhere stating to install a pipe from ones basement into their attic so in the future they can easily pull wires in the pipe to go from basement to attic. Is that a good idea or are there codes/etc to doing that (like it must be metal or it's not allowed)?

I got a 1" gray plastic pipes in the electrical isle and did it, then ran three 12ga wires in it. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm not supposed to do that... maybe the wires can overheat in the tube, or I created a channel for a fire to quickly spread up into my attic. Thoughts?

I do it on every house I wire, but there are some drawbacks to it, one is derating kicks in after 9 Current carrying conductors are installed, and yes you probably want to seal the pipes off, I just use duct seal...

Advertisement

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think it is a great idea to do that. I see it done in a lot of homes. I suggest labeling both ends of the pipe as a wire chase so a future homeowner doesn't mistake it for a plumbing vent!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Knowing I was going to rewire my entire 2nd floor, I ran 4-3/4" runs of emt from the basement to the attic space for this same reason. It has come in really handy.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post

I got a 1" gray plastic pipe in the electrical isle and did it (my guess it's outdoor plastic conduit), then ran three 12ga wires in it. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm not supposed to do that... maybe the wires can overheat in the tube, or I created a channel for a fire to quickly spread up into my attic and may have done something dumb. Thoughts?
When I had my house built, I paid extra to have a conduit run from basement to attic. It was a corrugated conduit. Not sure if I really needed it since I ran structured wiring throughout the house one weekend before the drywall was put up. It was a good selling point when I sold the house though.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote