Running An Outlet Into The Yard - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Running an outlet into the yard

I am involved in a similar project; I am going to run 120' of UF 20 AMP Romex to two locations in my back yard, inside of electrical PVC, so that I can install two waterproof GFI receptacles above ground. The trenches are 18" deep. My questions are:
What is best way to mount the receptacles above ground? Is there a 'special' stake or post that people use for this?
The first 8' is across a patio. Should I run the wire under the concrete (requires cutting the concrete) or simply attach conduit to the patio cover above this concrete? ( And then run the conduit down to the ground outside of the concrete pad...)

Advertisement

dpcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Running an outlet into the yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcowboy View Post
I am involved in a similar project; I am going to run 120' of UF 20 AMP Romex to two locations in my back yard, inside of electrical PVC, so that I can install two waterproof GFI receptacles above ground. The trenches are 18" deep. My questions are:
What is best way to mount the receptacles above ground? Is there a 'special' stake or post that people use for this?
The first 8' is across a patio. Should I run the wire under the concrete (requires cutting the concrete) or simply attach conduit to the patio cover above this concrete? ( And then run the conduit down to the ground outside of the concrete pad...)
First, do not use UF cable in the PVC. Run individual THHN/THWN wires in the PVC conduit. This will be so much easier. Cable is not designed to be pulled through conduit.

I like to mount the receptacles to a 4x4 treated post. You can even cap the 4x4 or decorate it with a router. I have not seen any particular stands for outdoor weather proof boxes.

Dig a hole/small trench on both sides of the 8' patio. With a metal pipe or metal conduit larger than what you plan to pull your wire into, drive it horizontally under the patio. Stick a garden hose into the pipe and let it run while you excavate it out through the opposite side. Just pushing it back and forth with the water running will have it through in no time. I promise. It's easy and I did one just like this recently.
Leave this pipe in the ground underneath the patio and run your new conduit right through it. It (the conduit) does not need to be 18" below grade under the patio. Just go right below the bottom of the concrete slab.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote