Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #1

Share |

Running new wire in existing wall

Anyone have any DIY advice on running new thermostat wire from the condensor to the controls in the attic? Is it a matter of just splicing new wire to the end of the old wire and then pulling the other end? Is it better to run through the eave (this is a two story house).
Rdakota06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #2

If the old wire is not stapled and you can pull it easily, then yes, just attach the new to the old and pull it in. This would be the best case scenario, but I doubt it will be that easy.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #3

I've been researching techniques for pulling new wire with little luck. I know they make fish tape but I am conerned about messing up the other existing wires in the wall, espcially the wire for the other a/c unit. I am considering going through the eave and pulling through the attic insulation. Because of the orientation of the blower units, it seems almost impossible to get the the end where the wire comes through. Does anyone know how contractors install new wire when they put a new unit it? Do they usually pull new wire, or assume the existing is good?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #4

They pull new. At least I would make them pull new. Can you follow the path of the power cables, conduit or piping to get you into the attic. All you need to do is get into the attic and the rest will be a breeze.
Once in the attic you should be able to use the old wire to pull in the new wire. Get up in the attic and LOOK at what you have. It's not that hard to do. Since we are not there with you, you need to think a little. Run it just like the old.

You could use a length of conduit and run up the outside of the wall and use an LB to make the 90 degree turn to get you inside. You could go from the condenser with flexible conduit and attach this to the conduit. This way it's protected.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Does anyone know how contractors install new wire when they put a new unit it?
They generally use the existing wiring.

The t stat is usually run along with the lineset and taped to it.

It may be possible to attach to the old wire and pull it up/down the wall, it may get hung up somewhere.

The old wire is probably good. If you must replace it, attach the old wire to the new wire securely and aerodynamically. Have someone pull it out while you feed it in. It's worth a shot.

If that fails you can pop out of the attic and run it exposed down the wall.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #6

220/221: If I try to aerodynamically pull the wire, do you think I should be concerned about the possibility of messing up the other existing wire for the other unit?

I have been in the attic many times during this diagnosis phase. I've looked and probed and tried to go as far back as I can. The problem is that I can't physically get to the end wall where the A/C units are. The two blower units are positioned such that it impossible to get to the other side. I definitely can't climb over, and there is no flooring on the other side anyway, just sime minor framing. Blown insulation covers the rest. For a permanent fix I was hoping I could use a thin rod and extend through the eave vent and reach it somehow from inside the attic.