Running New Curcuit To Outdoor Application? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Running new curcuit to outdoor application?

My wife and I would like to put water feature, a waterfall wth a small pond, on the side of our house. I know that at a minimum I will need an outlet for the pump and that I would like to have some lights in the set up for viewing at night.

As I'm planning this, my thought was that this could be done with a new 20amp circuit however it appears the main panel is full, no empty slots.

Would this require the installation of a sub panel or does anyone have some diferent thoughts or experience?

Thanks

Advertisement

Bigman610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman610 View Post
My wife and I would like to put water feature, a waterfall wth a small pond, on the side of our house. I know that at a minimum I will need an outlet for the pump and that I would like to have some lights in the set up for viewing at night.

As I'm planning this, my thought was that this could be done with a new 20amp circuit however it appears the main panel is full, no empty slots.

Would this require the installation of a sub panel or does anyone have some diferent thoughts or experience?

Thanks
Could use some minis in place of a regular breaker. I dont really like them but its a thought.

Advertisement

ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

If you panel allows them that is. You can't use a twin breaker in a newer 40 slot panel.

You could extend an existing lightly loaded circuit, but you need to pick one that is not a special purpose one defined in the NEC.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

At the panel cover you should find the number of circuits it allows. might sa something like 30/42 meaning 30 full size but 6 spaces can be used for minis. These are breakers that allow two circuits for one 1" space. But you may also consider using a 12/3 UF cable to the pond, so the lights can be controlled b a switch and the pond is separate.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for the thoughts. I like Bob's suggestion to run 12/3 and have the lights on a switch. I looked at the panel again and can't pick out anything showing the number of circuits allowed. I'm going to put some feelers out and get a few quotes to have the project done correctly, assuming the damage "$$" won't be too bad. Thanks again.
Bigman610 is offline   Reply With Quote