Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Running new circuit in existing conduit

I'm planning to run 2 new circuits to my kitchen (dishwasher, microwave) through existing EMT and IMC conduit that runs under the kitchen in the basement.

Is there anything I need to keep in mind in this process other than conductor fill in the conduit?

The entire length I need to go from the breaker box to the junction boxes where I'll transition to romex is less than 20 feet in both cases. I'm planning on trying to push the conductors through from the box. Is one at a time the preferred way to go? Also, should I run a ground wire or rely on the conduit?

Am I allowed to install the new breaker and make the circuit live by connecting it to the breaker or am I required to leave that to a pro?

TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #2

Running new circuit in existing conduit

In most jurisdictions, homeowners are allowed to do electrical work in and on there houses. What size is the conduit and how many bends are in it? It is sometimes very easy to push THHN in with other existing conductors. If you have a 90, I doubt you can push it, unless the 90 is where you are starting the push.
If you cannot push it through, use one of the existing wires to pull the new ones in. Make sure you pull an extra one for the one you pull out. I little wire lube may help if pushing. Pull a ground just because it makes you feel better. I know it makes me feel better.

You can connect to your breaker panel and devices if you know what you are doing. If you don't, ask!

Sorry, Push or pull all of the wires at one time. Always!

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote