Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Running New Circuit in Bathroom

First time asking a question...

H E L P!!!

I am in the process of rewiring main bathroom during a remodel. I have already run a new cable (20 amps) from the basement up to the second floor bathroom, however, I'm not too sure how I should begin wiring everything, i.e., bath exhaust fan/light; recessed shower light fixture, vanity (bar) light, three sconces and three wall outlets. Not to mention the three-gang wall box where the exhaust fan/light (combo) and shower light will be housed.

Now that I've given you probably more info than you needed, my question is: How should I start the wiring process? Is there a certain order to connect all these fixtures and outlets? I had heard, on one of the DIY TV shows, that it's best to start from the top down; which in my case it would be 1) the fan combo, 2) the shower light, 3) the vanity bar light, 4) the wall sconces, 5) the three-gang box, and finally 6) the outlets.

Is this the correct order, or is there even a "specific" order for wiring?

NashuaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Running New Circuit in Bathroom

Lights and receptacles need to be on their own circuit. In other words, you do not want the lights on the circuit for the gfci outlet. In half baths it can be done this way, but in full baths, you usually tie the bath lighting and fan into the bedroom and hallway circuit, that is 15 amps.

It is late in the game, but hope you pulled the proper permits to do the job, if they are required in your area. You really need to read the NEC regarding bath/wet areas, branch circuits, and would suggest picking up a good book on home wiring. Black & Decker has the Complete home wiring guide, and there are a couple of others that are just as good out there. Also, this subject has been beaten to death on this forum, just need to do a search and will find hundreds of posts regarding wiring a bath.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote