Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #1

Share |

Running New cable for TV, help

I recently purchased a new home and it was completely renovated, the sellers removed the old cable and put up new drywall. I have a cape with a 2nd floor, i have no crawlspace or attic, how should i run the cable? I would like to have cable tv in the living room 2 bedrooms downstairs and 2 bedrooms upstairs.

Ckb3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Are there kneewalls you can run the cable behind? Can you run in the corner of a closet? Are there any stacked walls?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Or you could do it the cheap cable company way and run it around the outside of the house and drill holes through to the inside where you need it.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

I have the incoming cable hidden in the vinyl siding corner post. You can also unzip the siding.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

Yeah JoeD Thats what im scared of because im getting fios and they are gonna install it,i know they are going to do a rig job and the cable is going to look awful running down the house. I am going to take all your ideas into consideration, thank you
Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Don't WANNA do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckb3216 View Post
Yeah JoeD Thats what im scared of because im getting fios and they are gonna install it,i know they are going to do a rig job and the cable is going to look awful running down the house. I am going to take all your ideas into consideration, thank you
I got cable a few years ago. I told them they would absolutely NOT be doing what they did the last time - running cables up the side of my brick house and drilling holes though my window frames to get it into the house. They ran the cable through the walls, and didn't charge extra for it.
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp13

I got cable a few years ago. I told them they would absolutely NOT be doing what they did the last time - running cables up the side of my brick house and drilling holes though my window frames to get it into the house. They ran the cable through the walls, and didn't charge extra for it.
Really?? I guess i could try that but i dont see them doing a job above and beyond.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Don't WANNA do it myself

Yeah. I kinda had a temper tantrum. The damage they did to my house before I got it was obscene. Big, sloppy holes through window sills and frames (depending on where) and one through the edge of the brick. We spent a fortune on new windows after we bought the house and they were NOT touching anything on the windows in any way, and the walls are four courses of brick so that was out of the question too.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port
Are there kneewalls you can run the cable behind? Can you run in the corner of a closet? Are there any stacked walls?
I dont have any knee walls, im thinking maybe the corner of the closet could work, the cable would have to enter the house from the right side, my bedroom, spare bedroom and office are all on the right side, my living room is on the left side, thats going to be my problem. I dont see how im going to get to the living room, my father inlaw suggested neatly running in tucked under the siding, im not sure how i feel about that. Im not experienced with wires and cable so its a tough situation, any other reccomendations?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #10

You can do whatever you want, it is just a matter of if you do it or someone else does, and how much it will cost.

So you could cut holes in the drywall, run the cable, then have the drywall patched.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

ckb3216, if you are going through the trouble to pull Coax, pull two runs of Cat-5e or Cat-6 to every spot that you are going to have a tv, four is even better. Verizon will terminate the ends on the coax for you, same as the Cat-5e. Can you post floor plans of each floor, and also if you have a basement. Also, can you post a picture where the ONT may be hung on the house. Depending on how far out you are for Verizon installing the equipment, pulling Coax & the ethernet can be done in one afternoon with a good helper.

There is a Verizon Direct forum over at dslreports.com also, and some good FAQ info on their Verizon fiOS forum if you need.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #12

Hey just an update, i recently had the cable installed, cable company did it and actually did a great job! They ran it around the house under the siding. So everything worked out well. Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #13

Let me guess. Then they drilled through the wall from the outside to the inside.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed
Let me guess. Then they drilled through the wall from the outside to the inside.
Yes, but it does not look as bad as i thought, as far as hiding the cable under the siding he did a good job, i have a levit ranch, no attic,basement or crawlspaces.