DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Running a generator for power outages

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Speedy Petey 
#1 ·
I want to wire my house so it can be run of a generator when there is a power outage here in Costa Rica. I will be purchasing a 5000W Coleman Powermate for the purpose. Is it as simple as throwing the main power switch to isolate the house and running 220 to the house from the generator? I would have a #6 (?) cord that can be run outside to the generator during these outages. Ideally I would like to have the generator running at my workshop which is 60' from the house. The main switch may be in the workshop (power is just being run out to my property), but if it's in the house and the generator is at the shop what happens will happen with the breaker for the shop at the main box? I will be running 220 to the shop in any case for my welder, so maybe the breaker will be big enough. Hope I'm not way out there with my thoughts. All info is appreciated.

#2 ·
ABSOLUTELY NOT. You cannot simply backfeed the panel/service.

You need either a transfer panel, main transfer switch, or main breaker interlock. These are to prevent power from backfeeding the utility lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.