Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Always learning!!!

Share |

Running the Generator in the Garage

Hello to All...

I know that I am setting myself up for a lot of S*** But here Goes:

If I have the Generator as close to the overhead door with the exhaust

outward, opposite window (36 x 36) open, service door open and possibly

a fan helping blow the exhaust out...

Can I run a portable generator in the attached Garage

(standard 2-1/2 car) just so it don't get wet????.

Let it Fly!!!! Tom

hogger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #2

I'll go first...

Sure you can and as a bonus you MIGHT get a nomination for a Darwin Award....only if your lucky and try harder....

Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Might be safer to either have it outside with a cover (like a dog shed roof) over it or arrange it with ducting so you can exhaust to outside.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Always learning!!!

"Sure you can and as a bonus you MIGHT get a nomination for a Darwin Award....only if your lucky and try harder...."

I never was that lucky... Would standing in a puddle of water move me up the ladder??
Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger9 View Post
"Sure you can and as a bonus you MIGHT get a nomination for a Darwin Award....only if your lucky and try harder...."

I never was that lucky... Would standing in a puddle of water move me up the ladder??

Only if you were pre-wired with 240 first! Not much help huh?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Always learning!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman78 View Post
Might be safer to either have it outside with a cover (like a dog shed roof) over it or arrange it with ducting so you can exhaust to outside.

Thanks... Got me thinking....(No Dog) Somthing like a temporary pvc & tarp thing
I really don't NEED any awards!!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Ducting the exhaust is a no no too. You cannot garranty that it will remove all emisions and is plain dangerous.

I built a small table that I can roll the genset under, then I just got some good tarp and covered it up leaving the exhaust side open. Make sure you leave plenty room around the gen. so the tarp is not near any moving parts or hot spots.
The table when not in use for the genset, makes a great light work table in my basement.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Ducting the exhaust is a no no too. You cannot garranty that it will remove all emisions and is plain dangerous.
Not sure if you can adequately connect to the exhaust, but garages and gas stations in my area have been ducting to the outside for years while working on cars in inclement weather. A CO alarm would also be a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by handyman78; 09-23-2008 at 12:58 PM.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Not sure if you can adequately connect to the exhaust, but garages and gas stations in my area have been ducting to the outside for years while working on cars in inclement weather. A CO alarm would also be a worthwhile investment.

Those hose ya talking about those are ratied for low to med tempture only and the small gas engine the exhaust tempture is much higher than automovite exhaust at idle.

Typically the well loaded small gas engine exhaust tempture will be about 1000F - 1300F depending on the set up.

so you can understand why for the small portable generators they are not designed for piped unless specifed by manufacter.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #10

Ducting this thing is bad advice. Period. As mentioned already, I'd build a little shelter to put the generator in when it is needed, and operate it outdoors.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
Always learning!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post

I built a small table that I can roll the genset under, then I just got some good tarp and covered it up leaving the exhaust side open. Make sure you leave plenty room around the gen. so the tarp is not near any moving parts or hot spots.
The table when not in use for the genset, makes a great light work table in my basement.

Thanks... Got me thinking about using a folding card table with a tarp!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
Always learning!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Those hose ya talking about those are ratied for low to med tempture only and the small gas engine the exhaust tempture is much higher than automovite exhaust at idle.

Typically the well loaded small gas engine exhaust tempture will be about 1000F - 1300F depending on the set up.

so you can understand why for the small portable generators they are not designed for piped unless specifed by manufacter.

Merci,Marc
Thanks for the Specs. Good Info!!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
www.handyguyspodcast.com

in addition to exhaust, consider the dangers of refilling the gas tank. If the generator is anywhere near the house and you have to keep it running 24/7 (such as during a long power outage), you have the dangerous task of filling the tank while the generator is hot. If fuel is spilled... it can catch on fire. I have a friend who had this happen. Unfortunately it also cause the garage on fire and then burned down the entire house.

Be careful with these things. Let them cool before refilling. If you must keep them running while refilling...do not fill anywhere near the house.

BorninPA
borninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
Always learning!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninpa View Post
in addition to exhaust, consider the dangers of refilling the gas tank. If the generator is anywhere near the house and you have to keep it running 24/7 (such as during a long power outage), you have the dangerous task of filling the tank while the generator is hot. If fuel is spilled... it can catch on fire. I have a friend who had this happen. Unfortunately it also cause the garage on fire and then burned down the entire house.

Be careful with these things. Let them cool before refilling. If you must keep them running while refilling...do not fill anywhere near the house.

BorninPA
Good Words... Every power outage I am always hearing about fires due to this!!!! ALWAYS LET IT COOL DOWN!!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #15

here's my location in an seperate 2 car garage about 20' from my back yard door.i run it every saturday for 30 minutes to cycle the gas with no loads connected.my mufler/exhaust has a 3/4 stub but in calling the manufacturer they don't want it piped out.so here is what i do ...i connect a 12" piece of greenfield with a radiator clamp onto the stud and slip it up into flex dryer exhaust piping bending that up and out.i am going to put a metal dryer vent on the exterior of the garage wall and make the connection(hot exhuast rises).i always run it with the one door open as seen and sometimes open a back window to cross vent the air.make that thing stationary up on a butcher block of 4 x 4s and get a system to get the gas in while it is running...size down on that 5 gallon container put it in a gallon container(easy pour)with a liter soda bottle bottom cut off.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote