Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Running electricity to fireplace.

I'm adding an outlet in the back of my fireplace for a fireplace insert. The easiest access for power is if I drill a hole in the brick in the basement and run the wire up through the ash door which is on the floor in the back of the fireplace.
I was planning on using a junction box over the hole that I drilled so that it looks like a cleaner installation. The wire will only pass through the j-box. It will look like a dead end but the wire will come out the back side of the j-box. EMT will be used between this junction box and the feed junction box with NM or bx running in the conduit. Would I need a fitting on the backside of the j-box?
Does this sound like a good plan?

The easier idea is to just run bx off the closest j-box and run through a hole in the chimeny and up and through the ash door. If I opt for this route, do I need to protect the wire at entry point (drilled hole) of the chimney?

TIA
Cliff

Old 12-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Electrician philosopher

No need to protect a cable assembly coming through brick, in my opinion. You will definitely need a connector for your EMT coming out of the back of the JB. I am assuming ( can't see the fireplace set up ) that common sense in being applied here and none of the wiring is "in the line of fire " where it may get hot.

Andy

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Electrician

The last insert I did had a j-box already installed so all you had to do was supply power, I personally would use a piece of MC type cable if running it up the cleanout...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
I have gas!

Thanks Andy,
If I need a connector in the back of the J-box that makes the hole I need about 1 1/4".
After some more thought, especially since I don't need to protect the cable as it goes through the brick, I'm going to just run bx through the hole and forget about the j-box on the brick. That will speed installation from an hour or two to about 5 minutes.
It's a gas fireplace and the electronics and fan are on the bottom with a plug to power it up coming out through the side. It shouldn't get that hot or it would self destruct.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Thanks Andy,
If I need a connector in the back of the J-box that makes the hole I need about 1 1/4".
After some more thought, especially since I don't need to protect the cable as it goes through the brick, I'm going to just run bx through the hole and forget about the j-box on the brick. That will speed installation from an hour or two to about 5 minutes.
It's a gas fireplace and the electronics and fan are on the bottom with a plug to power it up coming out through the side. It shouldn't get that hot or it would self destruct.

I would just remove the factory cord from the j-box, and hardwire the unit... save you even more time...
Old 12-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Electrician philosopher

That might well violate the listing.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
That might well violate the listing.
Possible so, BUT...

Ever see the cord they ship with those units? its a flat cord tied into a handy box with 2" of free wire inside...