Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |

running electrical in a new bathroom

I am running electrical in a new bathroom. The situation that I have is this- I have to install a fan/light combo in a bathroom using a switch for each. I am having trouble with making the connections at the switch box. What i have done so far is ran 12/3 from service box to the switches with the red and black wires having their own breakers. The red is the light and the black is the fan. I only had 12/2 left so i ran that from the switches to the light. I have connected the white to the white as the neutrals. How do I make my connections at the switches with the red and black? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

valcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

You wired it backwards. There is no need for each device to have it's own breaker...and if you did it with 12/3 wiring, it means they are sharing the neutral wire, which if done wrong is dangerous.

What kind of breakers did you use? For two breakers to share a white, they MUST be on opposite hot legs of the panel and they need to be on a double-pole breaker or use handle ties to they turn on and off together.

You should run this using normal 12/2 wire. You would split the black in the switch box with a pigtail to each switch, then use 12/3 to feed power to your fan/light.

Also - this thread is the same question you posted a week ago - try to keep topics to 1 thread to avoid clutter.

Last edited by secutanudu; 06-29-2010 at 01:10 PM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #3

You can't do it. You need another wire to the fan light. You only have one wire to switch and one for neutral. You need three wires, neutral, switch fan and switched light.