Running Electrical In Furred Wall - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 355
Rewards Points: 250

Running electrical in furred wall

I need to run some pretty basic electrical (a couple of plugs and a couple of switches) through a furred wall.

The existing wall is double wythe brick and I will be furring the lower 2/3rds of the wall using 2x3s on their sides, covered with wainscotting.

I am hoping to be able to use the slim, low profile electrical boxes, and I know that the cable needs to be protected. The house, and all of my work will be in romex, but I know romex cannot be run through conduit.

What do I do here? What type of cable can be run through conduit? Is it "compatible" with romex? Anything special I need to know about tying the conduit cable into the romex?



stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,265
Rewards Points: 1,020

I think it's ok to run romex inside conduit if it's large enough. See Dave's response in this thread:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave
As long as the conduit is sized large enough for the romex it is OK & meets code

(3) #12 THWN need 1/2" conduit
(1) 12-2 cable (.450") will also fit in 1/2" & meet code
But the 12-2 will be a PAIN to pull thru any distance
I sleeved 12-2 UF in ~8' of conduit to go into a storage area junction box
From there I went with THWN in the conduit

If you don't want to use cable, you can run individual THHN/THWN wires (red/white/green) inside conduit. If you go to HD or Lowe's, their individual strands of wire are dual-rated for THHN and THWN. Either of those classifications are fine for dry (indoor) use. May as well just use romex.



secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Licensed electrician
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,867
Rewards Points: 1,888

3M makes a device called a Stak-it for furring strips to provide for the 1 1/4" standoff distance required for the furring strip.
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running romex along a wall in a closet Red Squirrel Electrical 16 10-02-2009 08:44 PM
how to find an electrical plug, covered up by a wall luckymen Electrical 15 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Insulating wall when running Copper Tube lines to an exposed wall face scubber Carpentry 5 04-13-2009 10:23 PM
Insulating wall when running Copper Tube lines to an exposed wall face scubber Plumbing 2 04-13-2009 09:54 AM
Marrying a sloping stone wall to a cinder block wall. mrdol Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 11-09-2007 04:08 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1