Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Running electrical in furred wall

I need to run some pretty basic electrical (a couple of plugs and a couple of switches) through a furred wall.

The existing wall is double wythe brick and I will be furring the lower 2/3rds of the wall using 2x3s on their sides, covered with wainscotting.

I am hoping to be able to use the slim, low profile electrical boxes, and I know that the cable needs to be protected. The house, and all of my work will be in romex, but I know romex cannot be run through conduit.

What do I do here? What type of cable can be run through conduit? Is it "compatible" with romex? Anything special I need to know about tying the conduit cable into the romex?

Thanks!
stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

I think it's ok to run romex inside conduit if it's large enough. See Dave's response in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave
As long as the conduit is sized large enough for the romex it is OK & meets code

(3) #12 THWN need 1/2" conduit
(1) 12-2 cable (.450") will also fit in 1/2" & meet code
But the 12-2 will be a PAIN to pull thru any distance
I sleeved 12-2 UF in ~8' of conduit to go into a storage area junction box
From there I went with THWN in the conduit

If you don't want to use cable, you can run individual THHN/THWN wires (red/white/green) inside conduit. If you go to HD or Lowe's, their individual strands of wire are dual-rated for THHN and THWN. Either of those classifications are fine for dry (indoor) use. May as well just use romex.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

3M makes a device called a Stak-it for furring strips to provide for the 1 1/4" standoff distance required for the furring strip.