I've been wanting to turn an old detached cinder block garage into a workshop for a while now, but there's no electric hooked up. I've done simple electrical work before such as adding new circuits and adding outlets...but this is beyond anything I've done before.
A few things that I think are relevant.
1) The garage is about 30 feet from the house.
2) There's sidewalk or patio that surrounds the entire house, which I assume will make trenching hard.
3) I have 200 amp service in the house, but it's getting full (4 baseboard heaters, electric dryer, electric range, electric water heater, plus 8-9 rooms of outlets/lights).
4) The septic tank is generally located where I would need to trench...not sure if this is an issue or not.
5) There's absolutely no electrical in the garage at all, no sub-panel, no switches or outlets.
6) I'm thinking I'd want about 60 amps in the garage...enough for an air compressor, table saw, small heater, lights, various other woodworking power tools.
Is this possible to do? What's the best approach to this?