Running Conduit Outside - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000
Smile

Running Conduit Outside

HI Everyone,

It's been a busy spring / summer here. Doing tons of work on the yard and it is progressing very nicely. I need to get a few utilties in place in the yard and have some questions.

Can conduit that is rated for exposed locations, i.e. RNC,RMC,EMT, be run above ground outside,not attached to a building? For example, could it be run along side a secure permanently installed wood fence to provide lighting / outlets?

Our arborist has cautioned us against damaging too many roots, which would like happen if we buried all of it. It is not feasible in our yard to have someone come in and install it with a tunneling machine.

Would there be any violation as long as the normal guidelines for securing the conduit are followed, and weather proof fittings / boxes are used?

Thanks

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Running Conduit Outside

Yes, Jamie you can do it. No EMT for the apparent reasons. Just my opinion. It will rust out in no time. If you are running it where it will be subject to physical damage use schedule 80 PVC. Schedule 80 must be secured within 3' of every box, cabinet, termination fitting or conduit body. Art. 352.30(A). Then it must be supported at intervals not exceeding the values of (Table 352.30). For you, that would most likely be every 3'. There is no reason to go with metal, unless you are hell bent on threading and bending it. But you can use RMC or IMC.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Running Conduit Outside

Thanks.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,062

Running Conduit Outside

Funny how different areas do things differently.

Around here, we regularly run EMT outside. Attached to buildings, on rooftops, etc. We get about 5" of rain a year, and the humidity is usually in the single digits.

Exposed PVC will be basically destroyed by the sun in a couple of years. It'll turn brown the first summer, black the next, and become very brittle.

If you live in a humid climate, I'd certainly use PVC. EMT doesn't do well with moisture. If you use schedule 80, remember that the inside diameter is considerably less than schedule 40, and thus will hold fewer wires.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Running Conduit Outside

Rob,
If he was running along a wall I would have suggested EMT myself. IMHO, PVC would suit this particular application best. It's a landscaping project. Sprinklers, fertilizer, insecticides ect...

I ran some schedule 40 along a wall at home last summer and strapped the hell out of it. It still is sagging. I should have used EMT on that for sure.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Running Conduit Outside

As far for Jamie's location he is simaur area to mine so I am famuair with the wacky weather we go thru here .,

IMO Jamie.,

Run with PVC conduit it will hold up better than EMT will and EMT will rust out pretty quick and what more most EMT fittings are not really raintite at all so go that route but you may want to use more clips to keep it level due it may sag over the time especally if the sun hit the PVC conduit.

As far for voilations useally no if you done right with the supports and a small tip along the way if you have bell boxes aka waterproof boxes take a 1/8 inch drill bit and drill a small hole bottom of bell boxes that will serve as drain port so that way all the moisture can able drain out without destory inside of the bell boxes and trust me on this one I get alot of like that when they don't bother drill a small drain port { i know many manufacter never mention this very often at all } the only time I don't drill a drain hole if that going get hit with pretty powerfull spray water hit on wall.

Merci,Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote