Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

Running conduit from basement to the standalone garage

I have some conduit in the ground between my house & garage. The garage is new construction and they had the foresight to include conduit elbows in the foundation for just this purpose. The house is 40's.. dirt/brick foundation.

12" deep trench (min). 3" conduit and a stretch of 3/4 pex for a spigot on the garage.

Here's the outside area where I'm thinking of running it in. The wood panel will be either bricked up or reworked with wood. It could be an entry point if I decide to run the conduit up out of the ground.

Here's the inside of the same area.

My thought was to remove three bricks along the bottom, between the encased foundation and window frame. Then the conduit would come inside, and attach to a junction box on the window frame.

I've read that some prefer bringing it out of the ground to avoid leaks, which is good in a sense. But if properly sealed, it would be hidden out of sight.

Are there any "best practices" for pulling conduit inside (both below ground and above ground)? Other thoughts on how best to get'r done?

sheslostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

to start with, you need at least 18" cover with that conduit. that means the top of the conduit must be at least 18" below the surface.

then, what did you mean by:

Quote:
for pulling conduit inside
did you mean the best way to get it through the wall?

and what is all that black stuff on the outside of the brick? It looks like you have the pics and description reversed/

If so, it looks like the ground level inside is the same or higher than outside. If so, I would dig down and run the conduit through the foundation wall and then turn it up. No need to have it exposed outside.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
to start with, you need at least 18" cover with that conduit. that means the top of the conduit must be at least 18" below the surface.
Is that true if there is only low-voltage in the conduit? Electrical is already in the garage.. this is just for CAT5 and coax.

Quote:
did you mean the best way to get it through the wall?
Yes.

Quote:
and what is all that black stuff on the outside of the brick?
Tar from a previous owner sealing the foundation. I've done a good bit of grading & installation of french drains, so there is very little moisture in this area now.

Quote:
If so, it looks like the ground level inside is the same or higher than outside. If so, I would dig down and run the conduit through the foundation wall and then turn it up. No need to have it exposed outside.
The ground outside is actually a little higher than on the inside.. not sure that comes through well in the photos. So a vote for keeping it underground -- thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #4

"The garage is new construction and they had the foresight to include conduit elbows in the foundation for just this purpose".

What elbows? Foresight would have meant they stubbed the PVC up into the structure. Just inside against the wall. That way you just add a small length and attach the panel. That's foresight.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #5

That's exactly what they did. There is a 3" section of conduit sticking up through the concrete foundation in one of the walls. It raises up a couple feet, and exits 12" below the foundation on the outside.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
=sheslostcontrol;521309]Is that true if there is only low-voltage in the conduit? Electrical is already in the garage.. this is just for CAT5 and coax.
you can lay cat 5 on the ground if you want. I presumed it was for power. I would suggest putting it deeper just in case you find you need it for power though. I see the hoe in the background. Might as well think of a worst case scenario when it is so simple.

you also want to consider the possibility of any future grading that might make the conduit closer to the surface.

your cat 5 needs to be rated for wet use as well. Special stuff.

Quote:
Tar from a previous owner sealing the foundation. I've done a good bit of grading & installation of french drains, so there is very little moisture in this area now.
but is that on the inside or outside? It looks like that is in a crawlspace (vapor barrier, loose wiring hanging about, poorer lighting than the other pic) and the other picture looks like it is outside. If it is inside, your descriptions are reversed.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
but is that on the inside or outside? It looks like that is in a crawlspace (vapor barrier, loose wiring hanging about, poorer lighting than the other pic) and the other picture looks like it is outside. If it is inside, your descriptions are reversed.
The plastic was part of the waterproofing on the outside. My camera was a low-quality import from China.. doesn't take good pictures.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Just call me Andrew

My town only requires 12" of cover for power if the circuit is GFCI-protected.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
gfci protected and 20 amps 120volts max nec.table 300.5.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post

yes but a presumed (obviously incorrectly) a 3" conduit was for an electrical feeder for a subpanel in the garage. As such, it needs to be at least 18" below ground surface.

oleguy provided the citation.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #11

Mission Accomplished.

Rented a 4" & 1" core bit & hammer drill from the box store, took about 20 minutes to drill through two thicknesses of brick. Finished gluing together the conduit and pex, then sealed the crack around the holes.

thanks for the advice & commentary.