Running Conduit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Running Conduit

I am running #4/0-#4/0-#4/0-#2/0 Aluminum SE-R from my disconnect to my main panel. Where it is in the garage, I want to put it in Schedule 80 conduit. I think it looks better, and it does reduce the chance of damage. I am using 2.5 inch conduit, which I figured to be the correct size.

I want to run it out the side of the disconnect, straight in to a 90 and up to the ceiling. At the ceiling another 90 that takes it across the garage ceiling and through the wall outside. I will have an LB to bring it straight down, then another LB that will take it in to the basement of the house where the main panel is.

It seems I did not pay attention to the disconnect enclosure. the side knockout is only a 2 inch. I am not able to find if I am able to use a 2 inch male adapter at the box, and immediately transition to the 2.5 inch. Is this allowed?

There is a 2.5 inch knockout on the bottom. this would mean an additional 90 to make kind of a U to take the cable out the bottom and up to the ceiling. I would rather the first option though.

Thoughts?

Thanks very much for all the assistance.

Michael

Advertisement

mbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,492

Running Conduit

Use a hole saw and drill the hole the proper size.
Not sure if running SER in conduit is permitted. I think you need separate wires not a cable if you are using conduit.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,206

Running Conduit

I'm not a pro (not a pro electrician anyway), but why not rotate the disconnect enclosure 90 degrees and use the 2.5-inch knockout?
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,370

Running Conduit

You will never be able to pull that cable into conduit. Use individual THWN wires instead.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

Running Conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Use a hole saw and drill the hole the proper size.
Not sure if running SER in conduit is permitted. I think you need separate wires not a cable if you are using conduit.

Along the same lines as Joed is referencing, can anyone explain / clarrify the difference between a sleeve and conduit. When does a sleeve (to protect a cable) become a conduit from a code definitional thing.

(I'm not a sparky, just a GC, and have never understood the distinct rules in regard to cable (NM or SER) being allowed in conduit or in a sleeve. My "code check" is not clear/definitive, but makes a reference to sleeving up to 24" (like through concrete).

It's mostly curiosity, because I really can't bend emt worth a darn and the issue hasn't really come up at my kids places, otherwise I have a sparky pulling separate wires in conduit in the few instances that I have had to have a conduit installed.

TIA

Peter
Old 05-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Running Conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You will never be able to pull that cable into conduit. Use individual THWN wires instead.
As RJ notes, years ago on my own home, because of a third car garage addition, I had to install a new main/meter and feed 200A to my old main (now a subP) using SER.

It went thru my new garage trusses (as just SER cable) but as I dropped it down the garage wall to tie into my old main, the AHJ had me put it into sched 80 2.5 (for protective reasons).

AND it was a pulling bit(h... for one long sweep 90.... down 5-6 feet....LB into old main.

For the long sweep, I actually made up the sched 80 to its drop after pulling (feeding thru) the SER.

At the LB 90 into the old main, the cable was stripped off, and it was still a bit(h.

Lot of pulling soap, and lot of patient wrestling.

In reference to my above inquiry as to difference between a sleeve and conduit, I could swear the AHJ and I were refering to that run as a sleve.
... it did feed into my old main....but it's other end was just open (with a protective bushing) where the SER fed into it.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #7

Running Conduit

I Thought SE-R was allowed in conduit above ground. Is that not the case, and I miss read what I found?

My disconnect is actually a 200 amp QO box with pass thru lugs. if I turn it on the side, I would only be able to use half of the breakers. I have no plans for using any right now, but I do not want to limit it if things change. The panel with pass thru lugs cost less than the actual disconnect.

The SE-R cost $4.?? per foot, the THHN, which I would rather use, cost $18.00 per foot. Then I would have to use conduit all the way, and once things get in the basement, running conduit to the exact location would be a pain. It is a 100 year old house.

yeah, I am pretty positive it will not be a fun time pulling the cable through.

My wiring from the meter is coming in through the back at the bottom, is there a code that says I could not use the top hole for a feeder cable? That would eliminate one 90.

Michael
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #8

Running Conduit

This is the panel I am using for my disconnect.
QO1816M200FTRB

Michael
Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Running Conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaldwin View Post
I Thought SE-R was allowed in conduit above ground. Is that not the case, and I miss read what I found?

My disconnect is actually a 200 amp QO box with pass thru lugs. if I turn it on the side, I would only be able to use half of the breakers. I have no plans for using any right now, but I do not want to limit it if things change. The panel with pass thru lugs cost less than the actual disconnect.

The SE-R cost $4.?? per foot, the THHN, which I would rather use, cost $18.00 per foot. Then I would have to use conduit all the way, and once things get in the basement, running conduit to the exact location would be a pain. It is a 100 year old house.

yeah, I am pretty positive it will not be a fun time pulling the cable through.

My wiring from the meter is coming in through the back at the bottom, is there a code that says I could not use the top hole for a feeder cable? That would eliminate one 90.

Michael
MBALD..... Good thought.... I'm not sure.... but I do remember the AHJ saying something about not coming in the top of my old main (now sub) and something about acting as chimney in case of short fire.

It was not an issue in my case, so I did not pay extensive attention at the time.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

Running Conduit

Se-r is allowed in conduit, but you will have a rough time through every LB.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 292

Running Conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Se-r is allowed in conduit, but you will have a rough time through every LB.

A 2" LB is usually only rated for up to a 3/0 conductor. It would be a code violation to put the SER in there because of the listing And anyway, you'd need a sledge hammer and/or a bulldozer to get it thru those turns. Even single conductor 4/0 aluminum (compact) is a workout to get in a 2" LB.

Mark
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

Running Conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by busman View Post
A 2" LB is usually only rated for up to a 3/0 conductor. It would be a code violation to put the SER in there because of the listing And anyway, you'd need a sledge hammer and/or a bulldozer to get it thru those turns. Even single conductor 4/0 aluminum (compact) is a workout to get in a 2" LB.

Mark
He is using 2.5 inch, but same thing with getting it in.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #13

Running Conduit

Yes, it is 2.5" I am using. That is the problem because the box only has a 2" hole on the side. I guess I will be using a hole saw to make the 2.5" male adapter fit.

Michael

Advertisement