DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Running cable to unfinished basement

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  delhux 
#1 ·
I'm looking to run some cat6 and speaker wire below a section of my house. The section in question was an add-on from the previous owner constructed 6-years ago. The space below the room is an unfinished "workshop" area (exposed beams, insulation, dirt floor, etc).

I want to run the cable down through the walks and under the room--routing the lines along the support beams. I noticed, however, the spaces directly below the gaps between the walls/rooms are not open--there are three (and at one spot four) 2x8 support beams running parallel along this section.

I'm looking for advice on the best way to get my cable through, without damaging the walls/floors above.

I have s 54" flexible auger bit, but I'm not sure if drilling straight through the length of the 2x8 is acceptable.

I also thought of drilling a small hole at an angle at the top if the 2x8 towards the interior of the above wall, but am nervous about "popping up" off my mark.

I'll try to attach some photos of the view from below.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
There is an attic above with a plywood floor covering.

I would really prefer to go down, as it fits with my cable routing plans nest.

Right now I think I will run the walls with a stud/AC finder, cut where I want the wall plates, measure above and below carefully, put small drill holes at a 45-degree angle just below the floor and through the 2x8 so I can stick a small glow rod through and place my cable accurately. Hopefully after no more than a couple of tries per wall plate.

Once I get the placement right, I'll bore a larger hole to run the cable.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan of attack?

#6 ·
My second thought/post was to avoid drilling straight through. Instead, use an angled drill hole at the top of the 2x8 and through the floor into the space between the walls. That way, the hole would only be 2 or 3 inches. I would just need to be careful not to graze part of the visible base board and not go so far as to come through the opposite wall when drilling the test holes.

I thought that way I would not compromise the big 2x8s. I just may need a couple of tries with a very small bit to hit my mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.