Running Cable In Conduit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Running cable in conduit

I have to run about 75feet of 12/3 into a 1/2inch PVC conduit for outdoor purposes. I've already trenched the path %60 straight line and %40 zigzagging I have a combination of solid PVC and flex tubing.

1-My question is should I run the cable into the conduits right now section by section and cement the joints?

2-Cement all the joints and run the cable with a fishing tape?

Option 1 would be easier but I'm wondering if I could run in any complications!!!! I've always fished cables since the conduits were already installed but since I'm installing the conduits maybe option 1 would work!!!!

Advertisement

Audiotekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

Running cable in conduit

You can not install the cable into the conduit a peice at a time.
You can not use nm-b cable outside.
You will never be able to pull 12/3 through 75' of conduit and flex anyway.

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #3

Running cable in conduit

What kind of issues would I run into if I run the cable inside each piece of conduit?

And why I can't run NM cable inside a conduit? It's a 15A circuit to run some LED Xmas light in my backyard garden. The lights probably will draw 3~5A

Here's the cable i got... for free Carol 12/3 Type SJ FT2

Last edited by Audiotekm; 11-07-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

Running cable in conduit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotekm View Post
What kind of issues would I run into if I run the cable inside each piece of conduit?

And why I can't run NM cable inside a conduit? It's a 15A circuit to run some LED Xmas light in my backyard garden. The lights probably will draw 3~5A
Why can't you use a larger size conduit? 12/2 fits better in 3/4" conduit, but with the zig zags, I'd even go to 1". Since the trench is still open, I'm not sure why jbfan says you cannot install the conduit one length at a time.

As said, you cannot use NM Romex. You can use UF which is rated for wet conditions. NM is not rated for wet conditions. The inside of buried conduit is considered a wet condition. Just as pipes sweat in your basement, you will get some condensation in the conduit.
brgmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Running cable in conduit

Type SJ cable is not meant for permanent fixed installation, let alone in conduit and underground. Your conduit needs to be at least 18" deep with type THWN wire used. You also need the appropriate connectors for transitioning to your flex which should be liquidtight conduit. You'll never get UF cable into 1/2" PVC.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,036

Running cable in conduit

Quote:

Here's the cable i got... for free Carol 12/3 Type SJ FT2
The NEC requires that conduit be fully assembled before the conductors are pulled into it. The basis for this is to avoid damage to the conductors during assembly, and to ensure that the conductors can be removed from the conduit assembly later if needed. With that said, people do sometimes assemble conduit with the conductors in place. It's not code compliant and it usually ends up being harder to do than pulling them through later, even though it seems like it will be easier.

NM cable is not permitted in wet locations, and buried conduit is a wet location. Not just according the the NEC, but for real. Buried conduit ALWAYS becomes very wet due to condensation. NM cable falls apart eventually in contact with water.

The cable you have is not usable for this application. It is not code compliant for use in conduit or in any concealed application at all. It is also not water resistant. You need THWN. You should be able to pull 4 THWN #12 conductors through 1/2" with no problem if you use plenty of lube and don't have more than 360 degrees of total bends in the conduit (the code limit, and the practical limit as well). Your conduit needs to be 18" deep, or 12" if you use GFCI protection.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (11-08-2011), SD515 (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Running cable in conduit

Audio....dude.....listen to the above advice.

I hear where your coming from.....many many years ago I would have been wanting to do the same thing. Ever hear the phrase "You learn by your mistakes". Well.....that is why I'm so bloody smart.....

You will NOT be able to pull that 14/3 NM (Romex) through the 1/2" PVC....you can try....you might make it 25'....and if you lube it up real well...maybe 50'.....if you have more than 2 bends....I know I could win a $100 bet real easy....

I bet all the wire pulling you did was with stranded THHN....a lot easier to pull than solid 14/3....even if you remove the jacket from the 14/3, it's going to be hard to pull...solid wire does not pull very easy through PVC conduit.

When ever I'm sizing conduit...what ever size I think I need....I then bump it up one size. And in the end, I'm sometimes wishing I had gone even larger.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #8

Running cable in conduit

I bought 85feet of NMWU 14/2 for $40 I laid out the conduit path what I will do is I will straightened out all the conduits and run the cable I don't even think I will need to fish it the cable is pretty thin.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,808

Running cable in conduit

Based on your description of the cable I am going to guess that you are in Canada. Under the NEC in the US NM cannot be used outside, even when in conduit. I think the CEC has a similar prohibition. You need to run individual conductors or change to a cable suitable for use outside.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 514

Running cable in conduit

Quote:
I have to run about 75feet of 12/3 into a 1/2inch PVC conduit for outdoor purposes. I've already trenched the path %60 straight line and %40 zigzagging I have a combination of solid PVC and flex tubing.

1-My question is should I run the cable into the conduits right now section by section and cement the joints?

2-Cement all the joints and run the cable with a fishing tape?

Option 1 would be easier but I'm wondering if I could run in any complications!!!! I've always fished cables since the conduits were already installed but since I'm installing the conduits maybe option 1 would work!!!!
Flex tubing does not belong in your application at all
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Running cable in conduit

Quote:
I bought 85feet of NMWU 14/2 for $40 I laid out the conduit path what I will do is I will straightened out all the conduits and run the cable I don't even think I will need to fish it the cable is pretty thin.

NMWU is wet rated cable. If you have NMWU why don't you bury it directly in the ground and use PVC sleeves where you come out of the ground. Skip the pipe all together.

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote