Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Share |

Running 60 amps to detached garage subpanel

Hi,

I am planning to run 60 amps from two ganged 30amp breakers using UF-B to a subpanel 175ft from my main panel in a large detached garage. I m trying to figure out what gauge wire I need to use. Some sources say 6/3 others 8/3. Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

-Gerry

Gerry9252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry9252 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to run 60 amps from two ganged 30amp breakers using UF-B to a subpanel 175ft from my main panel in a large detached garage. I m trying to figure out what gauge wire I need to use. Some sources say 6/3 others 8/3. Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

-Gerry
First off, if you want 60 amps, you are going to have to use a 60 amp breaker, not a 30 amp breaker, second thing, #6 UF is only good for 55 amps, #8 UF is good for 40 amps..

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

I think you may be confusing the two pole breaker size. A double pole 30 amp breaker is a 30 amp breaker @ 240 volts;the two 30's are not added together to get 60 amps. If you want 60 amps at the sub panel in the detached garage you need a two pole 60 amp breaker. You will need to calculate the voltage drop for the amount of amperage draw at that distance. There are numerous voltage drop calculators online that can help you. I don't have my book with me now but just a rough guess would be a #4 copper for 60 amps at that distance.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #4

I live an old house and I have 2 electical services one 100amp service for the house and a second 60 for the out buildings. Sorry if I mixed up terms. The 60 amp service comes in from the meter into a box with two hot wires that each contect to a terminal on a separate breaker that are ganged together and says 60 amps on it. I need to update the service from that box due to construction damage to the old wire that led to a subpanel in the garages. The old wire was 8 G aluminum and likely unsafe anyway. Am I correct in thinking that I will have 60 amps coming in to the subpanel? That is how it looks in the old box in the garage.

Sorry for any confusion and thanks for the quick replies.
Gerry9252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
First off, if you want 60 amps, you are going to have to use a 60 amp breaker, not a 30 amp breaker, second thing, #6 UF is only good for 55 amps, #8 UF is good for 40 amps..
Yes, but since there is no such thing as a 55 amp breaker, #6 is OK on a 60 amp breaker.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Yes, but since there is no such thing as a 55 amp breaker, #6 is OK on a 60 amp breaker.
True, but probably not at 175ft. I didn't use a calculator, but I'm going to guess that requires #4 to get acceptable voltage drop.

Edit: I was wrong. That requires #3 Cu or #1 Al for 5% voltage drop!
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry9252 View Post
I live an old house and I have 2 electical services one 100amp service for the house and a second 60 for the out buildings. Sorry if I mixed up terms. The 60 amp service comes in from the meter into a box with two hot wires that each contect to a terminal on a separate breaker that are ganged together and says 60 amps on it. I need to update the service from that box due to construction damage to the old wire that led to a subpanel in the garages. The old wire was 8 G aluminum and likely unsafe anyway. Am I correct in thinking that I will have 60 amps coming in to the subpanel? That is how it looks in the old box in the garage.

Sorry for any confusion and thanks for the quick replies.
So the garage has its own service from the power company? Or is that meter supplied from the main house, and it just serves to record the power usage for convenience? If it's really a separate service, then it's not a "subpanel". Posting pictures would really help.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote