Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Running 2 Circuits in PVC

I am building a detached garage with a solar system on its roof that will provide power to the entire home. I have run 1 1/2" PVC from the house main to the garage for a 100A sub service for the garage circuits. My solar installer has asked for a separate 30A circuit for the system also come from the home main to the garage. Dealing strictly with the NEC, would the code allow me to run both the 100A service wires and 30A solar sys wires in the same 1 1/2" PVC. I could locate max number of conductors in the code, but what I have found deals with the same size conductors. I've probably overlloked it. Can anyone provide advise?
JDAAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #2

Pretty sure you can with the right size conduit
But a much better idea to seperate them into 2 conduits
Depending upon the exact wire you will use 1.5" may work
What is the length of the run ?
Also may want to upsize the wire on the 30a solar in case you ever want to add capacity

Fill calc:
http://www.onlineconveyorparts.com/enghelp/conduit.htm
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

Question

Scuba Dave,
Thanks for the fast response. The run is only about 66 feet. The solar system is a 4KW. It's actually more than my house consumes. My main reason for wanting to run only one PVC is that my sub-service will be inside the garage, and I have already embedded the 1 1/2" pvc in the concrete slab. If I make another PVC run, I will have to go through the wall. Trying to avoid this as I was trying to keep all the utilities to the garage hidden. I plan on running both CU for the service and solar system. Does the NEC even address a situaion with different size conductors in one PVC run? I could not find anything?
JDAAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #4

As far as I know its OK as long as you are within fill ratio
There is derating if you go over a certain amount of wires
But seem you will have only 6 wires + grounds
2 hots, neutral & ground for each ?
I seem to recall 6 being the magic number before derating
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

First thing I will address Dave question .,

Oui, 6 useally is the magic number to start the derateing.

Now to OP question.

There are few case you have normal power to garage and solar circuit in the same conduit but the codes will intertwine a little.

You will need a disconnect switch at the solar panel { this is very specfic on the NEC requirement ( it have to be AC/DC rated )

And for solor circuit you use diffrent colour conductor so you know it is not a normal conductor to use.

And really for myself I rather run seperated conduit for solar but few case you can run both in one conduit { you will have to watch derating on it that where it get tricky }

Also check with your local officals for latest info with solar codes they will change a bit and make sure the POCO is aware with it. they will provide a diffrent meter socket to read both way.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote