Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Running 14-2 between recessed lighting for remodel

I think that perhaps the Electrical forum is the best place for this question... not sure. I figure the Electrical guru's have the most experience with wire fishing.

Anyways, I we are doing a kitchen remodel. The original light in the kitchen was just a big ugly fluorescent light in the middle of the room. We took it out and I've made all the necessary holes for recessed lighting.

I've gotten all the wire run between the lights except for one final light. It has been a very easy process up to this point. Take a look at the attached image. The brown lines are floor joists for the room above the kitchen. The yellow are the two lights.

What I've discovered is unfortunately some type of air duct between two of the floor joists. I have drilled a small hole in the joist at Light 1 when I discovered it. I can't tell for sure, but I think it's a round duct and I do not think it takes up the entire space between the joists.

So let me get to my question. What is the best way to get electrical from Light 1 to Light 2? I am trying to avoid cutting open the drywall in the ceiling because I am simply horrible at re-texturing. I am pretty handy around the house, but drywall texturing I have failed horribly at in every case.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I have the proper wire fishing tools and drill bits long enough to span two joists.

Jakobud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,196

What is the floor finish above the kitchen? You might be able to remove it and cut the floor.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #3

Cut a small notch for the wire then put it through it and then compound over it
jdwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwired View Post
Cut a small notch for the wire then put it through it and then compound over it
DO NOT do this. Your wire needs to be at least 1 1/4" back from the face of your framing.

I think you're going to have a heck of a time trying to fish around a supply duct in a joist bay blind. The least invasive way I have for finished ceilings and walls is to use a 5 inch hole saw centered on each joist/stud. Cut out your circle of drywall which will leave you with access to either side of the joist/stud. You can use a drill bit with an extension to drill through the wood. One your wire is in place, put on a nail plate if needed and screw your drywall circles back in place. Caulk the small gap with some siliconized painter's caulk, skim with your patching compound of choice, and touch up the paint. I don't like using flex extension drill bits in this case because you never know what's on the other side of that second of third framing member. The holes allow you to visualize each side of the joists/studs.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

dont think if u drill out the stud/joist it will be structurally ok
jdwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwired View Post
dont think if u drill out the stud/joist it will be structurally ok
Joists are drilled all the time. Properly located and sized holes will not damage the structure.