Running 12/2 Nmb Wire In An Old Home - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Running 12/2 nmb wire in an old home

My Outside outlet's hot wire is dead. I need to replace the wire(s). My Question is, How do u run new wire w/o having to repair/replace Drywall? I'm not trying to be...too lazy, just wanna save $$$ on replacing the wires.
20 amp circuit breaker 12-2 nmb 20 amp outlet.
I literally just need to go up, along the Ceiling and down to the Circuit Box. My greatest issue is that, my Ceiling is the Floor from Upstairs... There really is no "crawl space"...

Advertisement

Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,572

You will need to cut holes at the floor to ceiling transition. If you are lucky the floor joist run in the direction the cable needs to be fed. Otherwise you will need holes so can drill each joist.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
My Outside outlet's hot wire is dead.
Do you KNOW where this outlet is fed from?
Is that outlet ALSO dead?
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wire doesn't just go bad. Chances are you have a GFCI that is tripped or a loose wire at another receptacle or light switch (or fixture).
Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #5

I know what wire it is, where it's fed from, and the out let is new. Circuit breaker is also functional...
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
I know what wire it is, where it's fed from, and the out let is new. Circuit breaker is also functional...
And_?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #7

Sorry, but simply writing "And?" w/ no actual question is just rude. However, house Helper, you were Right about the Switch, I checked everything throughout my house and fund the bathroom outlet had tripped! I just pressed reset and the power came back to the outside outlet. Thank you for your help!
Sincerely Necro
The Following User Says Thank You to Necrosis For This Useful Post:
HouseHelper (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,146

Necrosis -

You probably did not notice that you did not answer an earlier question referring to a GFCI or did not realize that it is much different than a "breaker" that is in the main box supplying power to the circuits. Because of that there was little to do to help you. That is common problem with a "newbie".

A switch could have been fed off of a GFCI that opens a new can of worms.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #9

concretemasonry I over looked the GCFI because It shouldn't have been connected to the outside outlet. who ever did the electrical system in this house was retarded. Calling me a noob and dick is completely uncalled for. you have been reported. Do not post on this thread again.

Last edited by Necrosis; 07-10-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
JW

Rewards Points: 194

Quote:
concretemasonry I over looked the GCFI because It shouldn't have been connected to the outside outlet. who ever did the electrical system in this house was retarded. Calling me a noob and dick is completely uncalled for. you have been reported. Do not post on this thread again.
I may be incorrect, but I'm guessing that 'concretemasonry' is named Richard, and goes by that nickname of Dick. I don't think he called you a dick; he merely signed off on his post with his name- Dick.
mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mm11 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (07-10-2013), frenchelectrican (07-10-2013), HouseHelper (07-10-2013), Kyle_in_rure (07-22-2013), Philly Master (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Sorry, but simply writing "And?" w/ no actual question is just rude. However, house Helper, you were Right about the Switch, I checked everything throughout my house and fund the bathroom outlet had tripped! I just pressed reset and the power came back to the outside outlet. Thank you for your help!
Sincerely Necro
Necrosis.,

Let you know that it was common in older code edition to have a single GFCI to protect bathroom , outdoor receptale plus garage recepectale even in some of the kitchen receptale with single GFCI receptale I know it was common many years ago but that is no longer legit per modern NEC code requirement.

That time many years ago the GFCI was pretty expensive item so they try to keep the cost down now with modern day the GFCI receptale is much cheaper than GFCI breakers so it become normal around in most places.

Quote:
As I posted above comment whomever ran the wiring arrangment for that era is correct and it was NOT retarded for that era ( late 60's to mid 80's ) then when get to more modern era that pretty much end of that route.

So when that place get rewired in that time era it will follow the latest code that time now let fast foward to current time era. We do know that is no longer the case due the bathroom will required it own circuit and the kitchen will required 2 SABC ( small appalince branch circuit ) the garage will gernally it own circuit. but note this part some are it is common have the outdoor recepales tied to the garage receptale but some area not so it will be it own circuit as well.

As far for calling anyone noob I been called that before few time but afterwhile it will go away I have been called worst than that.

I have one freind I know his real name is Richard but also called Dick which it is a common nickname I know some peoples feel insluted with that so some will just drop the dick word and replace with Rich or Richard but it pretty much up to them what they want to be called.

We do try to help many peoples in here much as possible.

Merci.,
Marc
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-12-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #12

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,146

Necrosis -

Also I did not call you a "noob". If you read closer you are classified as a "Newbie" by the site according to your experience and/or amount of exposure.

You might have earlier noted that you eliminated a GFCI in addition to just a "breaker".

I don't think you own the tread you created to get feedback and cannot limit anything.

DICK
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 151

Certain " plugs " are required to be protected by GFCI devices . Bathroom and out side plugs are on that list ( among others ) .

It is indeed common for plugs to be wired " down stream " of a GFCI plug , to receive the required protection .

What the OP described is not that unusual . It is one of the first things I look for , when a plug is dead .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 790

................but ya dosen't havta call me Mr. Johnson.

Advertisement