Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Run wiring for outdoor security light

Hello,

I am a new homeowner and am looking to install a couple of security lights on my 2000 built home. I'm not concerned with how to handle the connecting of the wiring, but more-so how to run the wiring. My father is experienced with the actual connecting of the wires etc.

My home is a rambler. I am wondering what the typical approach for running the wire is. Should it be ran up and inside the wall from from an outlet into the attic to make any lateral movements along the wall and then ran outside?

Just looking for rough ideas on how this kind of thing is typically approached so we can evaluate what might be best - thanks for your help and let me know if you'd like any more information.

jaydekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #2

Is the house one story? Two? Basement? Crawl space you can get into?

What part of the country? Up north and you have a steep roof (for snow) and you can easily get into the attic?

Or in the south and more of a flat roof and you can't get into the attic?

Then wood construction inside with drywall? Outside walls brick? Wood with siding?

Then where do you want the switch for this? Anywhere? By back door on outside wall?

Where is breaker panel? Any empty slots?

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #3

Hi Billy_Bob - here are answers to you questions.

Is the house one story? Rambler (1 story)

Basement? Yes, fully finished (1/2 below grade, 1/2 above grade)

What part of the country? Minnesota - Yes, I have access to the attic. Yes the roof is steep.

Then wood construction inside with drywall? Studs, probably vapor barrier of some sort, insulation, etc. Drywall. Vinyl siding.

Then where do you want the switch for this? Anywhere? By back door on outside wall? I would like 3 motion lights installed with the switches inside. The house is 3400 sq ft, so I will probably break the light switches up into 3 areas to make things easier (less to tie together I assume). There are outlets near the floor on the inside the house near all 3 locations where I would like to install the lights outside.

Where is breaker panel? Any empty slots? Garage. Yes, 3 empty slots

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

jaydekay, the one question that has not been asked, is where on this structure are you locating the lights? And, are your neighbors going to be annoyed due to the lights shining into their windows.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #5

OK, you have it EZ!

Lots of options for running wires.

Here are the two things you will need...

1. They sell *very* long drill bits in the electrical department of home improvement stores and they have holes in one end with which you can fish a wire in a wall. Like this...
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/greenlee/hole_making.asp

2. Adding an electrical box in a finished home is fairly EZ with an "old work electrical box" like this...
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

Then before you go drilling holes or cutting into a wall, it would be a good idea to use a "stud finder" which also detects metal (as in natural gas pipes!) and electrical wires inside the wall.

Ask further questions once you understand the above if necessary...
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
jaydekay, the one question that has not been asked, is where on this structure are you locating the lights? And, are your neighbors going to be annoyed due to the lights shining into their windows.
That is a good question to ask! Due to my lot this won't be an issue. At the rear of my house, there is 30 acres of protected land (no houses). Then to the sides of the house is shielded by pine trees and it is set back about 150' from the street. The house is generally padded by a .7 acre lot. Again, great question to ask though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
OK, you have it EZ!

Lots of options for running wires.

Here are the two things you will need...

1. They sell *very* long drill bits in the electrical department of home improvement stores and they have holes in one end with which you can fish a wire in a wall. Like this...
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/greenlee/hole_making.asp

2. Adding an electrical box in a finished home is fairly EZ with an "old work electrical box" like this...
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

Then before you go drilling holes or cutting into a wall, it would be a good idea to use a "stud finder" which also detects metal (as in natural gas pipes!) and electrical wires inside the wall.

Ask further questions once you understand the above if necessary...
Thanks again Billy_Bob - I will look into this in more detail tomorrow and get back to you with any questions. I have a stud finder w/ electrical sensing, so I am good to go there.

BTW have you seen this? Slick (I won't be getting one as I don't have a frequent need, but still slick):

Last edited by jaydekay; 10-18-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
jaydekay, the one question that has not been asked, is where on this structure are you locating the lights?
Lights will be mounted at right and left rear of home and I am thinking one near the door. I have some exterior lighting, but do not typically have them on at very late hours. That is where the security lights w/ motion sensors take over (late hours).
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydekay View Post
BTW have you seen this? Slick (I won't be getting one as I don't have a frequent need, but still slick):

I think I will stick with my 5 ft. D'VersiBIT. You can cut the hole in the wall downstairs, then drill up, then find where the drill came up in the attic.

Going the other way, drilling down from the attic, it would be hard to find the exact spot above where I wanted to install a switch or whatever.

Interesting gizmo though!