Run Lots Of Wire Or Use A Subpanelq - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Run lots of wire or use a subpanelq

Hi everyone ....I'm new to the forum and building a NEW shop/apt building. I have a new 200 Amp service i am putting in, but it is way on the otherside of the building where i have an apt. The apt has a full kitchen, W/D, etc and just to get to it would require about 60 Ft of wire per circuit.

I have room in the 200 AMp for all the circuits but i thought that running one SUBPANEL from the 200 AMP panel, say 125 amps would save a lot of time, and money. thOUGHTS? Is it better to run all the circuits with the long homeruns, or run one feeder (what size?) to the subpanel from the 200 amp panel? Do they make 125 amp breakers to put in a 200 amp service?

Thanks all.....


James275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician
Magnettica's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rahway, NJ
Posts: 168
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to Magnettica

Depending on the load of these circuits, a safe bet would be installing the sub-panel. It'll be convenient later when you need to add something. I would suggest using 4/3 copper (with ground) and a 90 amp double pole breaker in the main panel. The "125 amp" rating is the full-load amperage rating of the buss bar and it doesn't have anything to do with circuit breaker size for the overcurrent protection.

Good luck.


Union County, NJ, Licensed Electrician
Classic Electric, LLC, Rahway, New Jersey
Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks so much Magnettica!!!
James275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Journeyman Wireman
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 90
Rewards Points: 75

I second the sub panel. Keep it a little more compact.
jbberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,788
Rewards Points: 236

You have to install a sub panel, MWBC or one single circuit. You cannot feed the structures with more than one supply. This is a direct code violation of Art.225.30.

You say apartment. If your going to rent it you should put a meter on it. Another thing: An apartment is a dwelling unit. You must follow the same rules that are used in your house wiring. You better be sure you know what your doing.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding a wall switch to a pull chain fixture abacuslearns Electrical 17 12-20-2011 06:02 PM
Burial wire and a seeming difference of opinion... SxS Electrical 19 02-24-2009 09:16 AM
Red wire is HOT genner Electrical 15 02-22-2009 08:14 PM
hooking up dryer....bronx ny code SURFBUG Appliances 6 10-14-2008 09:41 PM
Stranded wire on screw connections BigJimmy Electrical 7 01-19-2008 02:42 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1