Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Rules on Spurred outlets

I am a Plumber by trade and this is my first thread so i apologise if i am in the wrong place. Would like one question answering - as a plumber am i allowed to spur off an unspurred socket to install underfloor heating for example? I know it needs to be tested by a fully qualified electrician so the certificate can be issued but am i legally allowed to create the spur and does it need to be fused?
David Needham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #2

Rules on Spurred outlets

Post your location. I think you might be in the UK. This site is mostly visited by North Americans so your question will be difficult to answer.

Last edited by joed; 10-02-2007 at 07:17 PM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Electrical Technician

Rules on Spurred outlets

Hi David ,i take it that your socket is on the ring main you are going to spur from ? also assuming that the underfloor heating is not with a bathroom or in a kitchen or other high risk area ?
You would be able to create the spur if you could get an electrician to test it out and certify its integrity , a lot of electricians will not do this now as they don't like certifying other peoples work,this is certainly so if you are NIC EIC registered who actually prohibit you from certifying others works.

The arrival of part P of the building regulations has made a lot of grey areas David

Regards

Chris
chrisb271 is offline   Reply With Quote