Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #1

Share |

Routing ethernet in house

I have a 1 story house with a basement and I'm trying to see what the easiest way to wire cat6 in the house. I looked in the attic and there is blown in insulation so it's hard to tell where the wires are located, but my current telephone line is up their.

I was thinking the basement just because it is cooler and easy to work with. My only concern is making a hole in the drywall and being able to locate it in the basement.

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
JOATMON

I would go basement. In most cases, your outlet for the jack will be close to the floor. If you try to fish from the attic, you may have concerns with fire blocking.....

It's not hard finding the wall. In most cases you can see nails punching through where the bottom plate was nailed.

Cut the hole in there wall where you want the plate to be....then go down below and find the bottom. As long as you are close (as in between studs), you will be ok. If you see daylight after you drill the hole, your in the stud bay....if you see your wife's face...you went through the floor.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
word2yamutha (05-18-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
JW

Routing through the basement is probably the best way. The easiest way is to cut the hole in the drywall where the data outlet will be, and use a long flex-bit to drill down through the floor. Tape the data cable to the flex-bit with a small piece of wire through the hole on the head of the bit, and then pull the cable out the wall.
mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mm11 For This Useful Post:
tylernt (05-14-2013), word2yamutha (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips. If I do it close to an electrical outlet there wont be any sort of interference correct? Well I was thinking about keeping all of my networking equipment underneath the basement stairs, but I'm not sure if that would be a suitable place for it.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2yamutha View Post
Thanks for the tips. If I do it close to an electrical outlet there wont be any sort of interference correct? Well I was thinking about keeping all of my networking equipment underneath the basement stairs, but I'm not sure if that would be a suitable place for it.
Just keep it at least 6 inches from the electrical wiring when possible. If you need to cross electrical, do it at a 90* angle.
sgip2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

How big of a flex bit do I need?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
Routing through the basement is probably the best way. The easiest way is to cut the hole in the drywall where the data outlet will be, and use a long flex-bit to drill down through the floor. Tape the data cable to the flex-bit with a small piece of wire through the hole on the head of the bit, and then pull the cable out the wall.
Looks like that bit is about to come back through the drywall

I have never been able to get my flex-bit to work for me; just seems like no way to steady the bit-end enough to cut the hole.

Do these things just not last long enough?
Philly Master (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Architectural Sculptor

The basement is a good location for everything if you put it on a shelf, usually it's cooler in the basement which is good for the computers.
My setup involves 4 computers, (2 are never shut down) a router, cable modem, printer, stereo amp and they are all in the basement on a shelf where its cooler, cleaner and out of the way.
The shelf is in the area of the basement below where my desk is in the kitchen, so I didn't need to extend cables much.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What are you using the cat6 or whatever wire for? Won't a secured wireless router work as well as running wire everywhere?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

Look for heating ducts, water pipes and anything else that goes through the floor. Measure off of those to find where you want to drill. Just remember, everyone of us that has done this for very long has, or will, drill and miss the wall. It just happens!
If your drill at receptacle height you can use a 18" spade bt with a small, 5/8", bit and that will make it into the basement.
deverson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #11

Well I thought about putting all my equipment under the stairs of the basement. Its extremely dusty down there and humid which isn't good for any kind of equipment like that. Im using that cat 6 to terminate into a patch panel then to a switch. I do a lot of streaming and I need gigbit speeds, which wireless can't handle yet. Eventually 4k TV's are going to use more bandwidth so try to future proof that.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

All of my equipment sits in our basement. It is conditioned like the rest of our house, and stays regularly between 58-68 degrees down there, with anywhere from 46-65% humidity levels. Most dust that falls down through the stairs, is from what is tracked in as you enter.

I actually have just six runs in my network, since the majority of my equipment is wireless. I have three drops for my U-Verse boxes, two drops for the two access points in my house, one access point has a five port switch, since it sits in my entertainment center, then one drop for a IP camera.

If you are pulling coax along with the ethernet, I would go with "Octopus" cable, which would have two Cat-5e & two RG-6 in the cable. Really first off, how many rooms are you planning on wiring, and how many drops per outlet are we talking?

What equipment do you currently have for networking (switches, router, modem), and can you post pictures of your current setup that you have, if in your basement? As for stopping any dust and heat along with humidity into the basement, you really need to seal any gaps around the foundation, where the sill & rim joist meets it, along with insulating the perimeter.

Most people vote to go with XPS foam, I went with R-13, because I still need makeup air in my basement, because of the dryer & water heater down there. You just need to assess your situation before you start with the pulling of any ethernet, then figure out rough estimate of how many feet of cat-5e or cat-6 you will need per drop. I went through 200' for the six drops in my place, when I pulled all new drops, because the original was pulled out of a place that I had, before we moved into this place, and was not meeting the needs for gig speeds.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
What are you using the cat6 or whatever wire for? Won't a secured wireless router work as well as running wire everywhere?

Better connection, never have to worry about it dropping and or range. In the long run when you can you should always, IMO, use a wired connection.
Philly Master (05-20-2013), tylernt (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #14

Well in the basement I only have one outlet, which is on the other side of the house. So I probably won't install in the basement.

I plan on installing in my living room closet because there was an old security system installed so I already have easy wire access and less holes to drill.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Better connection, never have to worry about it dropping and or range. In the long run when you can you should always, IMO, use a wired connection.
I have whole house and detached workshop with most everything on wireless. Things not wireless are those co-located with the router and switch. Wireless works great when properly designed.