Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #1

Share |
Question

roughing wire for 110V smoke detectors

is there an equivalent of an electrical box for a smoke detector ? when wiring a power switch or an outlet, you screw a box into a 2x4 stud and run wire to it, clamp-connect it so it's all tight. but when i read instructions on 110V smoke detector, it seems like wire comes straight into it from under sheetrock without a receptacle box. i thought this was kind of shaky. am i supposed to just leave some wire dangling from between my ceiling beams, then cut a hole in sheetrock before hanging it, and pull the wire through to wait for the detector ???

thanks.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #2

also, a recessed light comes with a pseudo-receptacle attached to it with holes for clamp connectors. i am just skeptical to put wire directly into a device without clamp connectors.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Electrician

A smoke detetector should fit onto a regular octagon box. In a pinch when they have been placed on the wall i have been able to use a device box, you would have to check the bracket for the smoke to make sure it would work.

If you have more then 1 smoke detector make sure you rough in a 3 wire between the smokes for they are interdconnected.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #4

i have never done it before and i take your word for it but would like to learn more why it is necessary to have 14/3 instead of just 14/2 ?

thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i have never done it before and i take your word for it but would like to learn more why it is necessary to have 14/3 instead of just 14/2 ?

thanks
14/2 to the first detector, the 14/3 to the rest. The 3rd wire is to sound all detectors if one goes off.
I use a receptacle box for my detectors.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #6

Feed the first smokie with 2 wire then interconnct the rest with 3 wire. The extra red wire sets the others off if one detects smoke.

I use single gang plastic boxes for smokies. The mounting plate will install onto 4" round boxes also but 1G nail ons are the least expensive of the boxes.

Quote:
also, a recessed light comes with a pseudo-receptacle attached
Que?
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #7

dude, i meant it comes with a box attached to the light and wire can run into the box through holes in which you put clamp connectors. fancy lingual expressions.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #8

I'm installing one of these too. Not yet unpacked but have a pigtail plug for it. What do you do with the red pigtail from the detector if you only have 14/2 and the rest of the detectors are battery operated
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #9

How can you tell if a new detector is working or an old one has failed. I thought of putting the older battery operated one near the car exhaust or should I just pitch it? and do they and old smoke detectores go to a recycle depot or just trash?
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
I'm installing one of these too. Not yet unpacked but have a pigtail plug for it. What do you do with the red pigtail from the detector if you only have 14/2 and the rest of the detectors are battery operated
You can leave it hanging if it's not stripped, or wrap it in a little tape. It doesn't ever carry more than a signal voltage.

You are required to interconnect them by code now though. So if you ever upgrade the others you should interconnect them.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
How can you tell if a new detector is working or an old one has failed. I thought of putting the older battery operated one near the car exhaust or should I just pitch it? and do they and old smoke detectores go to a recycle depot or just trash?
The test button is the only way the manufacturer recommends. If in doubt though, just toss it, because they are so cheap now.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
The test button is the only way the manufacturer recommends. If in doubt though, just toss it, because they are so cheap now.
I've never thrown one out (I'm only a recent homeowner) but I was under the impression that smoke detectors contained a radioactive element that required special disposal. At the very least, they're one of the items mentioned when my city does it's annual hazardous waste drop off once a year.
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKatz View Post
I've never thrown one out (I'm only a recent homeowner) but I was under the impression that smoke detectors contained a radioactive element that required special disposal. At the very least, they're one of the items mentioned when my city does it's annual hazardous waste drop off once a year.
You can call around to find out if you are allowed to put them in your normal trash. It varies from area to area.

The tiny piece of radioactive foil in a smoke detector isn't very hazardous.

Failing all that you can mail it back to the manufacturer. All of them will accept ionization detectors for disposal.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Haha, when I upgraded the smoke detectors here to hard-wired smokes, I enjoyed throwing the old ones into the bon fire in the backyard (with the battery in of course) It was amusing when it of course started to go off, and then the beeping got faster until it just died. Other than that it wasn't that spectacular. I know, not the best way to dispose of the smoke detectors but it was fun.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote