Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

Rough in wiring for can lights in drop ceiling

I am finishing my basement into a rec room. Planning to install Halo H7ICT cans to the T bars of a drop ceiling grid, with the trim ring cut through the tile. As of now, the grid and cans aren't installed so what is the inspector going to expect for the rough in on this?

The code book I have isn't clear, in one place it calls for a junction box at the appoximate location of each fixture and then a whip of 6ft or less down to the fixture. In another place, it states you can wire directly from the switch to the first fixture and use the fixtures junction box to wire to the next fixture and so on. I am thinking a 4 inch square JB near each location is the way to go, but if someone can confirm or give a better suggestion that would be great. And if I go that route, can the fixture whip just be a 6ft piece of 14-2 NM-B which I can cut down to length when the grid and lights actually go in?
GingerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMan View Post
... can the fixture whip just be a 6ft piece of 14-2 NM-B which I can cut down to length when the grid and lights actually go in?
Exactly. Just leave a coiled up tail at the first light for your rough inspection. You can wire from can to can once the grid and fixtures are in place.

The inspector can pop his head into the ceiling area and look at your recessed cans on the final if he needs to.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Electrician

I think a 4x4 would be overkill at each light, leave a whip long enough from the switch to the first light. The inspector can look at the rest on his final inspection.

Last edited by darren; 12-03-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: It must be morning, that is exactly what kb said.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

that is what I did in my basement. same way.
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
The code book I have isn't clear, in one place it calls for a junction box at the appoximate location of each fixture and then a whip of 6ft or less down to the fixture.
Where did you read this? What "code" book?

Quote:
In another place, it states you can wire directly from the switch to the first fixture and use the fixtures junction box to wire to the next fixture and so on.
This is how you do it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #6

Thanks guys. That makes it easier for sure. You saved me a bunch of extra work.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #7

Speedy, my guide book is "electical wiring, residential 17th edition" by Mullin and Simmons. Based on the 2011 NEC. They reference NEC 348.30 for the JB's and whips for recessed luminaires in a suspended ceiling in chapter 17 "rec room".
Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Thanks for the reference. I'm not sue what they are talking about though. The boxes are pre-attached to the fixture, so securing the FMC whip is already taken into account.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #9

Quick update, the project is going well. All day Saturday and Sunday got the boxes in place and about 350ft of wire run and the existing basement utility lighting circuit modified to accept the 2 dimmers worth of can lights. Picked up more wire and a few round boxes for wall sconces today, a late addition I want in place before calling for an inspection.

2 questions.

I ran a fresh circuit from the panel for the outlets with 12-2 which will get a 20a breaker for something like 12 outlets around the room. There are 3 storage closets in the basement which will remain unfinished inside, but I wanted lights in them so I can clearly see all the crap I have collected over the years. Taking power off the nearest outlet box to a wall switch and up to a ceiling box for a closet light seemed to make the most sense. I ran all those in 12-2 since it is an extension of a 20a branch, I just want to be sure this is ok.

Second question. In one of the unfinished storage closets I will house the AV gear for the room which will need power, I plan a dedicated 15a or 20a circuit with a quad box for it. Does this need to be run down from the ceiling in EMT to a metal handy box tapcon'd to the wall, or can I install a 2 gang plastic box on the inside of the unfinished 2x4 closet wall and put the outlets in there instead? Sounds a lot easier if permited.