Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Apprentice

Rewards Points: 10

Rough-in VANDALIZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I was like near ready for an inspection and all I had left to pull was a few switch legs in the basement and when I walked into the house I noticed that ALL MY FRIGGIN' WIRES WAS CUT AT THE BOXES AND ALL MY HOMERUN WIRES WAS GONE! GONE GONE GONE!!!!!! Some lil' had stole all the wire! The only thing that was left was all the high voltage wire like 8-3 and 10-2 but everything else was GONE!!!! I was and am so pissed as I never had this happen before. Is there anyone else that has had this happen? Can someone share the pain? Also, what could I do for in the future to make it harder for someone to do this. Any ideas would be great please.

Newbie-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie-Wan Kenobi View Post
Ok, so I was like near ready for an inspection and all I had left to pull was a few switch legs in the basement and when I walked into the house I noticed that ALL MY FRIGGIN' WIRES WAS CUT AT THE BOXES AND ALL MY HOMERUN WIRES WAS GONE! GONE GONE GONE!!!!!! Some lil' had stole all the wire! The only thing that was left was all the high voltage wire like 8-3 and 10-2 but everything else was GONE!!!! I was and am so pissed as I never had this happen before. Is there anyone else that has had this happen? Can someone share the pain? Also, what could I do for in the future to make it harder for someone to do this. Any ideas would be great please.
put motion sensors on your temp poles
lock the doors or screw up plywood
put up signs that say "property under surveylence" or "too late its gone allready"
cameras
gaurd dogs(nothing like a hungry pit bull to deter a would be theif)
armed gaurd (some will work for beer but if they get too drunk they will need more bullets)
claymores
dig a whole put in spikes and cover with leaves
stop harassing the plumbers
pay your contractors/employees on time
and get insurance

gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
When is fishing season?

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

Let me guess, your plumbing isn't in yet? Otherwise all that copper would be gone too!

Seriously, it is a pretty big problem around the country. I can think of several stories I have heard over the last few years about things like this.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Apprentice

Claymores. LOL! The idea about the sign is good. Can't lock the doors since most of the jobs don't have doors yet for some time. I'll try the sign. Any other ideas that might involve securing the wire? This was clearly done for the benefit of making quick cash obviously. My homeruns where truss runs so they was non-secured. Couldn't use stackets because I wasn't supplied with any. Could have tie wrapped them but I wasn't done yet.

EDIT: No plumbing yet, but HVAC pipe was gone too! I'm just the electrician but my employment was a result of tight budget from the employer. I get payed by the hour and do a much neater and cleaner job than the guys before.

Last edited by Newbie-Wan Kenobi; 03-06-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Newbie-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

Sorry man. Its gone. Even if you catch the people that do it, you have either go a bunch of junctions to set or just run the wires again. Maybe after this happened, the HO or the contractor wouldn't think twice about hanging some doors. I think that it should be the HO's or the contractor's responsibility to foot the bill fot the new wire since they should be on top of jobsite security.

I was doing a remodeling job when a rastifarian(dreadlocks) pulled up and asked if we cared if he went through our dumpster. He dug around a few minutes and pulled out some trash and took off. People around here are getting pretty bad for stealing and scrounging for anything to make a buck. Besides work of course.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

It's happened on other job sites.
Copper is big on stolen property lists at construction sites and even at supply yards. Sorry to hear about this.

Side point: I talked to a guy about 2 years ago. He was a delivery driver for a drywall company. They were going thru the dumsters at our jobsite. Because of his work, he could visit multiple job sites in a day. He told me that he had made enough money off of scraps to use as downpayments on his 1st two homes.
We salvage alot of metals on job sites. The aspect of doing it legally, is that you are recycling, and thus working green.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

I can't figure out why they left the larger wires? Yeah, I feel your pain. This is a big problem and getting worse all the time. I've never lost the wire I have installed but I can't leave spools of wire on site like I used to.

People have been cutting and stealing wire off the poles. Live wires at 7,200 volts. A lady was killed doing that a couple years ago. Her husband was climbing the pole and cutting the wire. She was on the ground winding it up and putting it in the truck. She grabbed the wrong end of the wrong wire. Boom.

I've heard of aluminum siding being ripped off houses too. It's nuts.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Building and plumbing

Forget the claymore mines, just carry a .45 ACP like I do
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
Handyman

Oddly enough, I recently tore out 25' of 3" , 40' of 1-1/2" copper drain pipe and about 50' of 1/2 inch copper pipe with assorted joints and I couldn't find anyone to take it let alone purchase it. If the thieves come back tell them to call me!
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Building and plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Oddly enough, I recently tore out 25' of 3" , 40' of 1-1/2" copper drain pipe and about 50' of 1/2 inch copper pipe with assorted joints and I couldn't find anyone to take it let alone purchase it. If the thieves come back tell them to call me!
never mind them, tell me where it is at
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Really? I had to cut out some old copper supplies and drains for a bathroom remodel and got close to $100 at the scrap yard.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #12
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
Forget the claymore mines, just carry a .45 ACP like I do
Thus, the member name....HK....USP45
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #13
Handyman

Indeed!
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
The theft issue aside, don't take it personally. You are not responsible for jobsite security.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
Union Electrician

Last week someone walked into my back yard and stole my patio furniture for the aluminum. Then they took the glass top and shattered it in the alley. Thanks guys!

At work we're not exactly sure who did it (have suspicions) but someone took 60+' run of 600 MCM. With the feeders, taps and affiliated conductors, we figured it to be around $5000.

One thing you can do to your plumbing is paint it black. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote