Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
EIT/DIY'er

Share |

Rough in for under cabinet lighting

I plan to talk to my inspector about this, but they can be difficult to track down and I want to make sure I'm going down the right path prior to getting in touch with him.

I'm wrapping up with the electrical rough ins for a new kitchen addition (stick framed on a concrete slab).

My cabinet layout is L-shaped, with a break in the cabinets at a window, and another break in the cabinets where the range and range hood are. I have let in some 1x6 stock into the studs to give a nice fastening surface for the upper cabinets.

I will be using hardwired xenon line voltage under cabinet lights. How can I run the wiring for this? I plan to run 14-2 romex through a precisely located hole in the 1x6. Once the drywall and cabinets are up, the wire would come through a hole drilled in the back "lip" of the cabinet and into the light. I'd cover this portion of it in wiremold.

Is this the right way to do this?

Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer
I plan to talk to my inspector about this, but they can be difficult to track down and I want to make sure I'm going down the right path prior to getting in touch with him.

I'm wrapping up with the electrical rough ins for a new kitchen addition (stick framed on a concrete slab).

My cabinet layout is L-shaped, with a break in the cabinets at a window, and another break in the cabinets where the range and range hood are. I have let in some 1x6 stock into the studs to give a nice fastening surface for the upper cabinets.

I will be using hardwired xenon line voltage under cabinet lights. How can I run the wiring for this? I plan to run 14-2 romex through a precisely located hole in the 1x6. Once the drywall and cabinets are up, the wire would come through a hole drilled in the back "lip" of the cabinet and into the light. I'd cover this portion of it in wiremold.

Is this the right way to do this?
I don't know if I understand you but here's what I would do leave the wire hanging out right below where the cabinet will end.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Sounds good, just be sure to get the hole height correct. Did you allow for the finished floor thickness?
Lattimer (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
EIT/DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Sounds good, just be sure to get the hole height correct. Did you allow for the finished floor thickness?
Haven't done the work yet (its the final thing on my to-do list before calling for the inspection), but I will be taking finished floor elevation into account.

I just wanted to be sure I was doing it properly by bringing the romex through a hole in the framing, drywall, and cabinet.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #6

Lattimer,
When we are doing a kitchen remodel with undercabinet lighting, after the old cabinets are out, I usually do some layout marking on the wall. After marking out the cabinets, I usually use a laser and find the high and low spots in the floor and ceiling to determine where the bottom of the wall cabinets will hit, and also the top of the bases. The bottom lip on most cabinets is around an inch. Check your cabinets to verify that, you should have them on site at this point. I'll have the electrician set them about a 1/2" above where the bottom of the cabinet is going to land. If something happens where your cabinet height changes slightly, you can easily slot the hole to make the adjustment. If the fixture isn't able to be wired directly over the whole, the electrician uses 3/8" bx cable between the fixture and the exit hole in the lip of the cabinet, so there is no exposed romex or wiring.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote