Rough-in Inspection - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rough-in inspection

Quick question.....preparing for a rough in inspection on new service to my detached garage/game room. When they say "all joints should be made up" which joints are they talking about? I spoke with the inspector to see what he preferred as far as terminations for the panel and at the fixture and he said don't worry about those, just make sure all the wire is run, stapled, all joints are made and all grounds are connected. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

steve37887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rough-in inspection

The rough inspection won't involve connections to the devices themselves (switches, fixtures, receps, etc). That stuff gets checked at final. The rough inspection is where we look at the make-up of your boxes and the concealed wiring in the walls, floors, and elsewhere. I'm usually looking to make sure your grounds are mechanically tied and the wire nut connections are completed in the boxes. Box fill is checked, as is box bonding where applicable.

As for the panel, that depends on your inspector. In new work, breakers aren't usually set at the rough-in, but I'm looking at the service gear for grounding and bonding, as well as termination of service conductors. I open panels at final, and that's when I check phasing and all the other things related to the breakers themselves.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Rough-in inspection

Thanks for the reply KC. So if I'm understanding right, I need to have any pigtails I'm using (for device connection, box bonding and grounding) tied in and hanging out of the box?
steve37887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rough-in inspection

Depends on your inspector, but ideally...Yes.
I won't accept simply pulling the romex into the box at rough-in. Gotta have it ready to install devices.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Rough-in inspection

Don't forget if you have any switch loops that you mark the white conductor black to indicate it is a current carrying conductor.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote