Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rough-in Inspection

Ok - so I just spoke with the local inspector today about permitting for my upcoming basement finishing job. Nice guys, and very easy to work with, although a little short. My basic thought was that they have bigger fish to fry than a small time residential finishing job; not that they weren't polite and helpful, but just they almost seemed surprised I was actually getting a permit! (They deal with A LOT of commercial and not as much residenital.) Anyway, they pretty much only care about the electrical work (framing and plumbing they are checking off on, but electrical is their primary concern - which I'm with!).

Anyway, my question is on the rough-in inspection and I forgot to ask the inspector my question. I know they will do two inspection - rough-in and final. Rough-in will be framing up, boxes in and wiring run, however, no receptacles/outlets/switches installed yet. After that clears, the final inspection will be post drywall, insulation, and fixtures/receptacles/switches/etc installed. Please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption, but my real question is:

On the Rough-In Inspection - do I terminate my wiring back at the service panel? Or, do I just coil it next to the panel so there is no risk of those circuits being live yet? Wasn't sure how it was viewed on the inspector side as I've heard that no power can be run without it clearing the inspection, and a flipped breaker hardly seems to be a deterrent from running power.

Shaotzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 522

Rough-in Inspection

I just went through this a couple months ago. The inspector said to leave the wire coiled up just outside of the service panel. He said if there is enough room in the panel, I could put the wire inside, but leave it disconnected. I figured it would be easier for them to see it was not live by leaving it coiled up next-to the box, so that's what I did.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
Shaotzu (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Rough-in Inspection

For rough in I always pulled into the panel, wires labeled, and the ends taped so there is no risk of contacting the bus. You probably only have a few new feeds, and as long as your panel doesn't look like a birds nest you should have plenty of room. Good luck!

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/
sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,434

Rough-in Inspection

The grounds in the device boxes normally need to be spliced for a rough-in inspection.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Rough-in Inspection

The cleaner the job looks the easier the inspectors will be. It's a good idea to go ahead and and make up your devices for a rough. It has to be done anyway, and looks a lot better than Romex rolled up in the box. For inspection, looks are almost everything. Double check for holes still needing to be foamed, and any missing nail guards. When in doubt, nail guard it.

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/
sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote