DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Rough Cost Estimate for Running a Dedicated 20A to Bathroom (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/rough-cost-estimate-running-dedicated-20a-bathroom-167885/)

BayIslandMike 12-31-2012 03:50 PM

Rough Cost Estimate for Running a Dedicated 20A to Bathroom
 
Can you guys throw some numbers at me for estimating costs of adding a 20A circuit from my box (assuming I won't need to replace the box entirely) and running the line (ceiling) about 8 linear feet to a bathroom I plan on remodeling?
The current electrical is a 15A line serving 2 bathrooms and a few hallway lights.
I was told by our local building inspector that only the bathroom to be remodeled needs to be up to code and the 15A (other bathroom and lights) can remain on the old code.

Assumptions: Licensed Electrician, Bay Area (higher cost area)

Also, what are the additional costs to wire up a few recessed lights and a bathroom fan?

I plan on getting at least 2-3 estimates, but it'd be nice to go in with some idea.

Thanks!

mpoulton 12-31-2012 04:11 PM

There's no way to tell without actually seeing the location. It depends entirely on the layout and construction of the house.

oh'mike 12-31-2012 04:21 PM

That is correct---not even a close guess---

A little suggestion---when the electrician makes the home run to the box----have another circuit run for the second bath----just leave it in a junction box ---waiting for the future remodel of that room---

BayIslandMike 12-31-2012 04:54 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. If it helps any, I'm in a 3 story condo, on the first floor, the ceilings are drywall with probably 3-4 ceiling joists that would need to be crossed to run/secure the wire. What other info would be helpful?

Daniel Holzman 12-31-2012 05:15 PM

What possible use are you going to make with an internet chat forum "estimate" for a project no one has seen? Suppose I tell you that I think the project will cost you $1000. Then you get three estimates, one for $500, one for $1000, one for $1500. Did the number you got from me do you any good? I am not trying to be rude, but this forum gets dozens, maybe hundreds, of "how much will X cost" questions each year. And I always wonder, what possible use will anyone make of an "answer"?

The best way to approach your situation is to carefully develop a scope of work, in writing, setting forth the exact scope of work, special materials if any you want used, time frame for the work, who will pay for the permits, what insurance you want the contractor to carry, and any other special terms and conditions. Then you ask three qualified contractors to prepare written bids, which you then evaluate against each other. Short of hiring an estimator to estimate the job, which is ridiculous for such a small project, you can't do much better than three qualified bidders bidding on the same scope.

mpoulton 12-31-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayIslandMike (Post 1083472)
Thanks for the quick replies. If it helps any, I'm in a 3 story condo, on the first floor, the ceilings are drywall with probably 3-4 ceiling joists that would need to be crossed to run/secure the wire. What other info would be helpful?

Without a couple dozen photos or a video tour, there's no way anyone can give you even a reasonable guess. Somewhere between $200 and $1500, probably. There are way too many variables involved to narrow it down more than that.

BayIslandMike 12-31-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman (Post 1083491)
What possible use are you going to make with an internet chat forum "estimate" for a project no one has seen? Suppose I tell you that I think the project will cost you $1000. Then you get three estimates, one for $500, one for $1000, one for $1500. Did the number you got from me do you any good? I am not trying to be rude, but this forum gets dozens, maybe hundreds, of "how much will X cost" questions each year. And I always wonder, what possible use will anyone make of an "answer"?

The best way to approach your situation is to carefully develop a scope of work, in writing, setting forth the exact scope of work, special materials if any you want used, time frame for the work, who will pay for the permits, what insurance you want the contractor to carry, and any other special terms and conditions. Then you ask three qualified contractors to prepare written bids, which you then evaluate against each other. Short of hiring an estimator to estimate the job, which is ridiculous for such a small project, you can't do much better than three qualified bidders bidding on the same scope.

Good points, but as crazy as it sounds numbers like $500-1500 are still helpful to me. I'm still trying to figure out a budget for this remodel and with a lot of my projects I like to account for 'worst case scenario' type stuff.

...and I don't find you rude at all. I appreciate you and others taking the time in writing your responses.

mpoulton 12-31-2012 07:27 PM

The total parts cost is unlikely to be more than a couple hundred at the absolute most - probably under $100. So if you can do it yourself, you'll save a lot. Running cable through a finished house isn't that complicated, it's just difficult and time consuming.

digitalplumber 12-31-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpoulton
The total parts cost is unlikely to be more than a couple hundred at the absolute most - probably under $100. So if you can do it yourself, you'll save a lot. Running cable through a finished house isn't that complicated, it's just difficult and time consuming.

And don't forget the hassle to match the Sheetrock finish!

hammerlane 03-18-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpoulton (Post 1083591)
Running cable through a finished house isn't that complicated, it's just difficult and time consuming.

Would you rather something be complicated?

Or would you rather something be difficult and time consuming?

Still trying to figure out the difference.

Ocelaris 03-18-2013 08:39 AM

The hard part as Dan Holzman said is running the wire, how many holes are you going to tolerate, and how much patching/painting is going to be required afterwards. Basically, the tricks of the trade are running wire, and that takes a trained eye to know how best to get from point a (panel) to point b (bathroom). If you give the electrician more flexibility with cutting holes, you will probably save money, and then just pay a paint/patch guy to repair the damage. Also you didn't mention breakers, if you have room in your panel. Let's assume best case you have 2 breaker spots open, and nothing needs to be done to that, but worst case you need a new panel or have to pair up breakers (if your panel supports it) etc...

gregzoll 03-18-2013 08:46 AM

Around here, it is about $68 in labor, $75 per each outlet, then you have materials markup, so one outlet alone could run you upwards to $250 in my area for the most expensive company. Otherwise, if you are like me, you do it yourself, and save some money. I was surprised that costs have gone down on Copper. Picked up a 25' roll of 12/2 MC for $13. Did not look at the Romex pricing, but may be down also. This was also a new Menard's hardware store, so it could just be that the prices were down due to grand opening.

BayIslandMike 03-18-2013 11:51 AM

Thanks to everyone for the responses and help.

I did end up getting 3 quotes and went with the highest regarded in the area, which also happened to be the cheapest. He was licensed and did the work in a little less than half a day.
Ended up drilling 4 holes and running the dedicated line to the bath, replaced the existing outlets/wire and installed 2 recessed cans for $500. The price was lower than originally because I told the guy I would do the drywall patching myself (I got all the tools and materials for this already).

mpoulton 03-18-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerlane (Post 1139904)
Would you rather something be complicated?

Or would you rather something be difficult and time consuming?

Still trying to figure out the difference.

Training for and running a marathon isn't complicated, it's just difficult and time consuming.

hammerlane 03-18-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpoulton (Post 1140054)
Training for and running a marathon isn't complicated, it's just difficult and time consuming.

Thats a good correlation amongst those terms.

But by the time a sparky left his place of business, drove to this job, completed the job and returned back to the place of business, I will speculate a marathon could be run in less time.:laughing::laughing:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.