Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Rough In Assistance for h-f-l-nl & sink GFI from single 10/2 feed

Hi!
Can you give me some guidance on roughing in my bathroom heater/fan/light/night-light unit and required sink GFI from a single 10-2 feed from the panel??

I bought my house with an unfinished bathroom. The owner told me it was wired for a ceiling heater/fan/light combo unit. He also made mention that the wiring would also need to incorporate the required GFI within n inches of the sink.
With that said, I have a single run of 10/2 (blk/wht/grd) coming from the thermostat in the adjacent bedroom, it is labeled 'HEAT {something} MAX' the something is wiped off and hard to decipher. The owner stated that wire was enough to do the finishing of the electrical for the bathroom (he is local electrian so I assume he was correct in stating that, it was after we had already purchased).
Anyways, with that said, I have finished the framing rough in and am ready to install the electrical runs to get this all ready for the green board install.

The desired switching is as follows:
1 dual toggle switch for light and nightlight
1 60-m timer switch for fan
1 single pole floorboard thermostat for heater
1 GFI outlet

Can anyone tell me how to run the remaining rough in wiring? And/Or Confirm what I have below??

Here is what I have currently if it helps:
10/2 wire from adjacent bedroom baseboard heater thermostat is ran to the bathroom thermostat box. From that box, I have a single run going to the dbl gang box that is for 60-m timer for fan and dual toggle (light/nightlight). Also from the bathroom thermostat box I have a single run of 12/2 (blk/wht/grd) to the heater/fan/light unit location.
From the double gang box I mention above I have two runs of 12/2 to the h/f/l unit location.
I feel as though I need another 12/2 for the nightlight, but am unsure.
I do not yet have the GFI in the mix, I was going to just run another run of 12/2 from the bathroom thermostat box to the GFI box and us it for the power. But I am unsure if this is correct way to feed power to the GFI, nor am I even sure the aforementioned rough in is correct.
I am have remodeled the other 2 baths in the house and they were set up similiarily when I opened the walls and the folks that did build the house were licensed contractors in the area.
I appreciate any help you could provide.

Last edited by mntnvew; 03-13-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: clarify part of message
mntnvew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Oh man .,, now that is instering mess to sort it out.,,

Quote:
I have a single run of 10/2 (blk/wht/grd) coming from the thermostat in the adjacent bedroom, it is labeled 'HEAT {something} MAX' the something is wiped off and hard to decipher
If i were ya i wont even take a gamble on this because this circuit can be wired either 120 or 240 volts.

the only way to verify it is use the neon light tester or a good qulanty voltmeter read from black and white wire if say 240 volts you are out of luck with the combo light / heater / fan [ i will expain in a min ] if say 120 volts it can be doable but let me get more detail plotted out first before you say " Yeah !! "

with the Bathroom Heater/ light / fan combo useally are reqired have it own circuit due the heater wattage [ they are typically 1200- 1500w ]

Quote:
10/2 wire from adjacent bedroom baseboard heater thermostat is ran to the bathroom thermostat box. From that box, I have a single run going to the dbl gang box that is for 60-m timer for fan and dual toggle (light/nightlight). Also from the bathroom thermostat box I have a single run of 12/2 (blk/wht/grd) to the heater/fan/light unit location
this part i am very lerry with this set up as i mention above because with the 10-2 it can be wired for either voltage [ verify with tester or see if that have double or single pole breaker ]

for the wiring connection are you sure this is a heater / fan / light /nitelite comb?? because it can get little tricky to get proper wiring up to the unit and by the way those unit have pain in butt small juction box right in there.

let us know to verify the voltage and the combo unit before i or other can guide ya the rest in safe manner.

Merci, Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #3

i have confirmed it is 120
mntnvew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

ok is that circuit is tied to other baseboard heater ?? and what amp breaker it is on ?

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #5

You cannot connect a BB heater in a bedroom with a bathroom GFCI, Heat Vent Light, and BB heater and T-stat.

The 10/2 from the bedroom T-stat was probably meant for the bathroom baseboard heater and thermostat only, not the lighting or the receptacle.

The bathroom receptacle requires a 20a circuit. The HVL also requires a 20a circuit. Bathroom lights can share the 20a receptacle circuit, but that circuit cannot be shared with anything outside of the bathroom.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote