Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Share |

rotating tv

I know this might not be the forum to ask this question but I figured I'd give it a try. I have a 30lb tv that I'm going to have drop down from the ceiling, but I need it to then rotate 90". I plan to attach it to a lazy susan bracket so it should rotate pretty easily, but I would like to motorize it somehow? Any ideas? Thanks

ncm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #2

rotating tv

is this a regular lazy susan? most lazy susans are made to support weight not suspend weight. if it spins what is gonna keep the wires from winding up on anything?

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
JOATMON

rotating tv

see if you can locate an old TV antenna rotator. Or, look at some of the ham radio sites....they should have some good info...

I have a remote rotator for my TV....the brand name is "Wife"...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
custom user

rotating tv

Have you done a search? They make mounts for that application:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...kduckgo-ous-20

As far as motorizing it (if I was really determined to do it) I would look into some kind of hydraulic arm mounted to a bracket on the rotating piece. Extending it would turn it horizontal, retracting it, back to vertical. Or visa versa.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

rotating tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
is this a regular lazy susan? most lazy susans are made to support weight not suspend weight. if it spins what is gonna keep the wires from winding up on anything?
It's a lazy susan bracket that supports 300lbs so I think it should be fine. And it only has to rotate 90 degrees back and forth, so wires won't wind up.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

rotating tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperST View Post
Have you done a search? They make mounts for that application:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...kduckgo-ous-20

As far as motorizing it (if I was really determined to do it) I would look into some kind of hydraulic arm mounted to a bracket on the rotating piece. Extending it would turn it horizontal, retracting it, back to vertical. Or visa versa.

This is the mount I'm using;
http://www.firgelliauto.com/download_file.php?file=22
But my trusses are running perpendicular to how I want my tv for viewing. So I need it to drop down and then rotate 90 degrees. I plan on attaching the t-bracket to a 2x4 or something and then attaching that to another piece of wood which will be mounted to lazy susan bearings. So I'd like to do some type of rotaty actuator with a belt drive or gears to rotate back and forth. Or use a linear actuator to push and pull back with possibly a pulley. That's what I'm looking for help on, how to motorize/rotate the lazy susan bracket.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

rotating tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm21 View Post
I know this might not be the forum to ask this question but I figured I'd give it a try. I have a 30lb tv that I'm going to have drop down from the ceiling, but I need it to then rotate 90". I plan to attach it to a lazy susan bracket so it should rotate pretty easily, but I would like to motorize it somehow? Any ideas? Thanks

Any chance you can post a photo of the "ceiling" location you are referring to AND a photo the "lazy susan bracket" would like to motorize?

All About Home Electronics.com
Everet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

rotating tv

It's just a standard 8' ceiling.
The bracket is from Amazon
Old 10-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

rotating tv

We've installed a few motorized TV lift cabinets in the past.

You might want to consider contacting a motorized TV lift manufacturer to see if they will either sell you the mechanism or tell you where you can buy the mechanism directly.

The reason I feel like this might prove to be a good direction to consider taking is because this mechanism is already designed to raise, lower and rotate the TV via remote.

The other consideration you would want to take into account is if the control module for a motorized TV lift mechanism has RF remote capability. If you get an IR TV remote system, which was standard with many units we worked with, you'll need to provide a direct line of site path to the IR receiver as opposed to the RF which won't need direct line of site.

I would think such a mechanism, by itself, would cost roughly in the high hundreds up to $1,200

Everet is offline   Reply With Quote